Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ayunis
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Systemguard Default Settings?

Hi,

Badly need help.

I played with my systemgaurds options and now my computer freeze every day at least once that all applications will stop responding (not responding in the title) and task manager will not popup until I do a hard restart to the machine.

Can someone please tell me how to rest my systemguard options to default or share thier systemguard options with me? Also, is there a way to find which system guard causing my machine to freeze?

Thanks

Alex
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: Systemguard Default Settings?

You had posted to an old thread so gave you your own. I think the best way to get your installation back to normal is to do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
ayunis
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for that, I will try it if no other choice but that will mean I will loose all the settings I have set all over and not excited to do that.

Can you share with me the settings for the SystemGuards or where I would find them, that would seam easier to do if I can reset those configurations alone.

Also is there a file or registry key that I can delete or override to make it easier?

Thanks

Alex
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

You can view/change Systemguard settings in SecurityCenter.
Double-click the taskbar icon to open it, or right-click "Open Security Center".
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (top left)
Click Advanced (right)
Click Systemguards (left)
I have mine all at their default level and I'll try attaching pics as thumbnails..just click to enlarge.

Systemguards are being totally revamped and may not even exist in their present form in the new 2010 product. However, we have no details yet as they haven't entered the public beta stage.
ayunis
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

u r a trooper! thank you... Ex_Brit!
ayunis
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Since you are an MS MVP too, can I ask you on how to figure out what is slowing down the machine down to almost a halt?

Any advise on what to do? not sure if Mcafee is the reason and this will be a good way to check it out.

Here is how I do it but cannot find out. I normally open task manager and it shows all processes using normal memory, little cpu over all usage (2~15%), every task with little usage and normal memory, and all apps with status of running. I searched google and no luck in finding a good link addressing such senario.

Thanks

Alex
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

I wouldn't know as the award was for helping out the community with security matters. Computer technical stuff isn't really my forte.

The Task Manager is really your best guide and maybe ask some questions on a PC problem-related forum perhaps?
ayunis
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

You solved my main problem and I am greatful!

alex
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Glad to help. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community