Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephenGood
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Suspicious Sign up

Jump to solution

Hi, I feel obliged to bring this to your attention, whilst McAfee accepted what I said no explanation was given as to how it occurred. I have McAfee protection on an HP laptop provided by my Broadband service provider. That account is solely in my name and been up and running for about 10 months so it should not be associated with what took place yesterday 9/10/19.  Less than a month ago my old PC crashed and I purchased a new replacement HP desktop. It came with pre installed trial software including McAfee but as I had a valid multi device anti virus package with another provider I installed that for the time being. I set up the PC with me as administrator and with my wife with shared access. everything has run smoothly until yesterday when my wife returned home from work. She checked her emails and found three from McAfee, one welcoming her to McAfee, one confirming a subscription order showing a charge to PAYPAL (WHICH SHE HAD NOT PLACED) and a third advising her she had switched off auto renewal. The later indication some physical action by a third party. This was really strange, coincidentally I received an email the same day notifying me the free trial period ends in 7 days.

I didn't risk clicking any links in the emails in case this was phishing , a scam, or something along those lines. I went to the McAfee web site though my log in on my PC and eventually spoke to them. They could see the order and the emails but could not explain how the transaction had gone through other than to say it was a manual transaction the order had been generated either through on line application or over the phone but as Paypal had been selected as the payment method it would suggest it was not over the phone as they do not normally accept it. Any payment taken has supposedly been refunded but both my wife and my paypal accounts have no details of this transaction.

This is all highly suspicious, the order appears to have been manually placed, but to what ends. If anyone, including McAfee can shed further light on this please do. I would have thought McAfee might have delved a bit deeper into this but their are privacy issues that they, understandably. will not disclose on the phone.      

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 6

Re: Suspicious Sign up

Jump to solution

@StephenGood 

I have sent a PM. Please reply to the same.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

@StephenGood 

I have sent a PM. Please reply to the same.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
StephenGood
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi Where do I find this PM??

sivasubramanian
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

@StephenGood 

You would have received by this time

Regards,
Siva

StephenGood
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Siva how do I reply to your email privately?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @StephenGood 

Please click on "mod SivaSubramanian" under Contact me click "Send this user a private message".

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community