cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Droopy
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

Stop McAfee from indicating I'm not fully protected...

I have specifically disabled e-mail scanning.  How do I prevent McAfee from indicating that I'm not fully protected?  (I'm protected via other software)

15 Replies
The_Narc
Former Member
Message 2 of 16

Re: Stop McAfee from indicating I'm not fully protected...

Hello Droopy,

If you are using McAfee 2009 just open Security Center, it will show a yellow balloon top right corner saying "Am I Protected?, No". Go down and select E-Mail and IM (Attention in yellow) and next to it will show you the option to ignore the warning for e-mail scanning.

Tell me if you need further help.

Cheers,

The_Narc

Droopy
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

I don't see anything in yellow.  However, SecurityCenter (version 9.11) does indicate in the status box:

Click Fix and we'll resolve these problems for you:

Inbound e-mail scanning is disabled

There's no option to ignore this warning.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Droopy

The_Narc
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Hope the screenshot will help you to solve the problem.

SecurityCenter.jpg

Tell me if you need further help.

Cheers,

The_Narc

Droopy
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Here's what my screen looks like:

mcafee.png

When I click on "E-mail & IM" it does nothing.  Ane under Configure->Protection Status I don't see any options to ignore these warnings.

Any other ideas?

Droopy

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

Hi Droopy,

1. Are you runing any other email scanners/antivirus programs along with McAfee ? If yes please uninstall them and click update in security center.

2. Click start – run then type services.msc, In the window that opens up check whether the start up type for all the McAfee programs are in started and automatic. If not click on the particular service and change it to automatic .
Click on the recovery tab (at the top) and select all three failures to be restart the service
Click on OK

After its done, close all open programs and restart the computer . And then try to open mcafee and click update
Kindly report back if any issues.

Regards,
Dinesh K

eville_stu
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

I have the same problem, I've disabled a bunch of "protections", I only want basic virus protection.  I've gone to the Security Center Configuration, and enabled every "Ignored Problems" by checking every box, for "Informational Alerts", I've clicked the first option, "Do not show...", and for "Alert Options" I've unchecked everything, but I still get this super annoying nag every time I startup my machine and then every few hours afterward... I'm ready to uninstall this software because this is so annoying:

annoyingDialog.gif

Droopy
Former Member
Message 8 of 16

I don't want McAfee to scan my mail.  Based on your response, however, I disabled the McAfee Spam Service.  I was hoping this would stop the notifications as well as preventing McAfee from creating a "McAfee Anti-Spam" folder in Outlook.  But no luck.  The program is still warning me and is still re-creating the "McAfee Anti-Spam" folder in Outlook (even after I delete it).

Any other ideas to make McAfee quit scanning my e-mail, quit creating a "McAfee Anti-Spam" folder and quit notifying me that I'm not fully protected?

If not, any other recommendations for virus protection?  (I should have read the reviews before purchasing McAfee.  It's not even in the top-10 list of anti-virus software and I'm struggling with it on multiple machines)

Thanks,

Droopy

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Hi ,

I understand your frustration and sorry for the inconvenience caused, please try to contact technical support chat through this link http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT so that they may find out if your system has any conflicting programs that might disable security center and fix your issue.

Regards,

Dinesh K

eville_stu
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

You are missing the point, I KNOW my system isn't fully protected by McAfee and I'm fine with that.  I want the dumb nag message to go away.  Please tell me how.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community