cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fallguy
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Sony Viao Any Parental Controls Useless "Splashtop Quick Start Button"

Sony Viao (NW series at least) have a quick boot feature for access to the internet without fireing up your operating system. Hit the special quick access button and away you go.

Guess what, if it is a computer for your child you cant even turn the button off or set it with a password. It resides on your motherboard any parental controls mcafee or otherwise are useless. The system for the quick access is by devicevm and is called splashtop.

Help, anyone know how to control this, keep in mind this runs straight off the motherboard and windows is not fired up.

Regards

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Sony Viao Any Parental Controls Useless "Splashtop Quick Start Button"

Not sure whether or not this will help but in my desktop BIOS I can switch a similar feature on or off.  With ASUS motherboards it's called Express Gate and to me it's just a nuisance as it prolongs the boot time considerably, so I turned it off.

That will be your best hope I think because there is no way for software to provide protection in a pre-boot stage.

Try accessing the BIOS and checking for such a feature - usually under the Tools tab.

This may help: http://www.ehow.com/how_4761693_access-bios-sony-vaio-laptops.html

Whilst in the BIOS I suggest you password-protect it - usually do-able under the Security tab.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/4/09 2:24 PM
fallguy
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Wise you are, try this will I.

Post back if try over weekend do I.

Sorry could not resist in posting like this could I. Think Alex Trebek is the father of Yoda do I.

Thanks a ton!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

ROTFL...well he is older than God I believe.  Mind you, I can't talk.  Recently at the King Tut exhibit I was asked if I was a relative of the deceased.

fallguy
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

No luck in Bios (AMI Bios, R1120Y4) (Vaio VGN-NW235F). Bios is very limited, can set user password and machine password thats about it. Another forum suggested trying to find file splash.sys and or plash.000 then edit names of or delete/remove but found no such files.

Sony tier 2 support sopposedly working on in San Diego then will call me back as they suspect other customer may not like this feature if they have kids as well.

Regards.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

fallguy wrote:

No luck in Bios (AMI Bios, R1120Y4) (Vaio VGN-NW235F). Bios is very limited, can set user password and machine password thats about it. Another forum suggested trying to find file splash.sys and or plash.000 then edit names of or delete/remove but found no such files.

Sony tier 2 support sopposedly working on in San Diego then will call me back as they suspect other customer may not like this feature if they have kids as well.

Regards.

So Sony have admitted to a mistake?  Amazing!   For once it appears McAfee is off the hook, or at least I trust they are.  Good luck.  In my BIOS it's the Supervisor password that's important as that controls access to the BIOS anyway.  Then of course in the OS password protect all the users including the hidden Administrator.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/12/09 6:36:15 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community