cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brilliantatbrea
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Signature detection file between 8 and 29 days old and Virtual Tech can't find it!

I am getting the message that "The detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old." I went to the virtual tech and downloaded it, but it could not find my McAfee software. The software came pre-loaded on a Dell machine that is about 4-5 years old. My subscription is current. I have tried clicking "fix" on the home screen, which does nothing. I have gone to "manage networks", clicked on the PC icon with the exclamation point and clicked "fix security vulnerabilities", which said it fixed the problem, but McAfee is still showing a problem. I have Security Center version 9.15, build 9.15.126; VirusScan version 13.15, build 13.15.101; and Personal Firewall version 10.15, build 10.15.102. Please tell me what I need to do in order to fix this!
9 Replies
LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Error-Signature Files More Than 8-29 Days

* The Problem with the product is, McAfee was not able to communicate with the server to get its update.

* The computer needs to be connected to internet every day.

Kindly verify the following information:
Operating System Vista/Xp
Type of Internet Connection Dsl/Wireless/Cabel/Dial-Up
brilliantatbrea
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

RE: Error-Signature Files More Than 8-29 Days

I have Verizon DSL. My computer is continuously connected to the internet. So what can I look at next? OS is Windows XP Professional, SP3
LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

• Browse to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.

• Right-click the DAT folder and select Rename.

• Change the folder name to DATold.

If you receive an access denied message:

• Open Task Manager ( press CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE).

• Right-Click mcshield.exe, and select End Process.

• Rename the DAT folder to DATold.

• In SecurityCenter, click Fix again.

• Restart your computer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Also check your system clock for accuracy both time and timezone-wise.
brilliantatbrea
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

System clock is OK.

I followed the instructions given by Lonely Tripper and clicked "Fix". The warning is now a red "X" and I got an error message: "One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error." I am going to restart and see what happens.
brilliantatbrea
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I restarted the computer and I still have the same problem -- red "X", same error message. Please help!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Assuming IE7 or 8 are installed try the following:

Go to Tools/internet Options.Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK. Close & reopen IE.

Go to Tools/manage Add-ons and re-enable all add-ons.

See if that helps.

If not try the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If we aren't responding at any time, there is always Technical Support Chat available throigh the link at top left of this page.
brilliantatbrea
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Yup, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software. But this seems to be a common problem that arises out of nowhwere. Any idea why it happens?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

No particular single cause in my experience...usually it's the result of people using registry optimizers, cleaners etc. or their system clocks are out of whack. Or the installation is simply corrupted for whatever reason.

If it's still a problem then I would try online Technical Support Chat as they can escalate it to a higher level. Link at top left of the page.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community