Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pagosah
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Several problems since the upgrade from Security Center 9 to 10

Hi everyone,

there is absolutely no help from the Technical Support, only NO-Reply e-mails that tell me to get help from their website.

So I'll try it here and hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

Here is the problem:

Since the upgrade from 9 to 10 I can't use McAfee anymore at all, because I'm not able to download updates, can't get to download the Virtual Technican nor the software to start a chat with the Technical Support.

But the worst part is that my computer keeps crashing (BSOD Error Stop 0000007E) as soon as I disconnect any USB powered devices.

I've ran a dump file scan and everything points to McAfee

I'm running Windows XP on my computer.

Before the big change from Security Venter 9 to 10 everything worked fine and I had no problems at all.

My subscription is still good for another year and I would like to be able to use McAfee again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Karla

10 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Several problems since the upgrade from Security Center 9 to 10

Just curious if you purchased your software through a third party provider such as Dell or Comcast?

Not sure it will solve the problem but you could try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot. Run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MCPR will remove any traces of Version 9 that might be left over the upgrade failed to uninstall and reboot again.

Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software and see if this issue has been resolved.

This link should take you directly to the chat page http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=CHAT

on 9/2/10 8:20:27 PM EDT
pagosah
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

McAfee came with my Dell laptop.

I already have uninstalled McAfee via Add/Remove programs, but were not able to run the MCPR tool, when I click on the link nothing happens.

I'm also not able to load the 'GoToAssistStarter.exe' file which is needed for the chat. When I click on download it starts downloading for a few seconds then breaks off.

Also cannot download the Virtual Technician, get the message that Virtual technician is not found.

Basically everything is screwed up with McAffee and the reward winning technical support is hiding out somewhere...

I have Avira AntiVir on my laptop now and ervything is working great, but McAfee has some features I would like to use again.

Thanks for your help!

Karla

RonH
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Karla,

Would you happen to be using Internet Explorer? If so, I had some similar problems downloading McAfee software using IE 8. Eventually, I had to switch to Firefox 3 which allowed me to do everything I needed with nary a hiccup.

--Ron

pagosah
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Hi Ron,

no, I'm using Firefox on my laptop.

Thanks, Karla

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Please try the below steps..

1. Click on "Start"
  2. Select "Run"
  3. Type "Inetcpl.cpl"
  4. Select "Security" tab
  5. Select "Trusted Sites"
  6. Click on "Sites" button
  7. Remove all the entries of McAfee website.
  8. Now click on "Connection" tab
  9. Click on "Lan Settings" button
  10. Uncheck all the option.
  11. Click Ok
  12. Download IERegFix.bat and save it to your desktop:
    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegFix.bat

13. Now try to download and install McAfee.

sky429
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I'm having the same problem, and the most recent post is not helpful because I cannot open or run ANYTHING related to McAfee. So the link I'm supposed to save to the desktop doesn't work either. I haven't been getting the blue screen, but my computer simply won't boot since I've installed (and uninstalled and reinstalled....) McAfee unless I prompt it to use the most recent good configuration, which takes it back to before the update. Any suggestions that don't involve trying to run some form of program from McAfee???

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Issue that you are unable to open anything related to McAfee is that McAfee will not allow proxy setting, so you may check whether proxy setting is been enable in your IE. To disable proxy please try the steps 1-10 in my above post and try to download the file which was provided in that post.

sky429
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Or I can just uninstall it and use a competitor's product since I've been researching this issue most of the evening and have found MANY reports of similar problems and no solutions from McAfee. A refund on my subscription would be nice since I'm current until next April, but oh well. I'll save the headache.

pagosah
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

I did just that, threw McAfee off my computer and installed the free AviraAntivir instead, which works extremely good for me.

Too bad that I can't get rid completely of McAfee since even the uninstall link doesn't work.

I would never ever recommend McAfee to anybody, they have the worst customer service at all, but send you promotional e-mails

for upgrades etc. while you are crying out for help.

For me personally that's it with this company even though my subscription is still good till next May.

I am extremely dissappointed by the way they are doing business.

Thanks to you all her in the forum for your help,

Karla

P.S. I have attached an e-mail from customer service (yes,suprise, they answered my mail) regarding a refund,

they of course completely ignored my technical problem, that I'm not able to get help from their website etc....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community