cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianfootyfan
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

SecurityCenter vs AntiVirus Plus

I have a subscription for SecurityCenter until 2015 but McAfee keep trying to get me to renew a subscription to AntiVirus Plus which lapsed last year. Do I need AV+ if I already have SC? If not, how do I get the lapsed product off my McAfee account so that they stop trying to get me to renew it?

2 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: SecurityCenter vs AntiVirus Plus

When you purchased Security Center instead of renewing Antivirus Plus did you first uninstall the program and run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links?

There may be some leftover remnants of Antivirus Plus causing this issue you are having regarding the suggestion to renew. The only thing I can suggest that you try to do now is to completely uninstall everything related to McAfee through Control Panel and Add/Remove programs and reboot. Run the MCPR and reboot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

This method ensures a complete cleaning and a new installation and should resolve your issue. In the event that issues persist, you can always contact Technical Support Chat found at the top of this page under Useful Links. They are available 24 hours a day.

One last question, are you getting a popup advertisement regarding the renewal or are they just emails?

ianfootyfan
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: SecurityCenter vs AntiVirus Plus

Thanks, I will try uninstalling/reinstalling as suggested.

I wasn't getting active reminders but each time I logged into my McAfee account I'd be presented with a big red warning that AV+ had expired and that my computer could be at risk unless I renewed the subscription. Looking at other posts on similar subjects I can see that I don't need AV+ if I already have SecurityCenter. I don't see why McAfee should use scare tactics like this when they know full well that I've purchased Security Center until 2015. 

If uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't do the trick (and I don't think it will) I'll try asking Customer Service if they can remove that message from my account.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community