cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThisIsMyUserNam
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

SecurityCenter quarantined a legit file, and immediately deletes it upon restore

I'm having a problem with the file "SWKOTOR1_04.exe" which is an update patch for a game.  I've had it on my computer for quite some time now, (I put it there myself, I know what it is), and it got quarantined in today's scan.

Seems like every time I scan it finds new legit files to delete on me every single week, which I have to go fix.  This week it even flagged the Winamp uninstall file.  Pretty sure that one's legit... This is getting real old.

Anyway, my other false positives all restore at least, but this one is immediately caught and deleted if I restore it.

The "Send to McAfee" option has never worked (I've seen the instructions on how to do it manually here), but most of the things it catches are too big anyway (this file is 20mb), so I'm not sure how to get it cleared so I can have my file back.

1 Reply
MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 2 of 2

Re: SecurityCenter quarantined a legit file, and immediately deletes it upon restore

Hi,,

If the file is more than 2 MB

See if you can disable Virus scan by opening Security center -> Computer and files -> configure -> OFF for virus protection is enabled.

Go to the RESTORE folder restore the file that got quarentined ..  Go to the location of the file..  Zip it .

Send the Zipped file to virus_research@avertlabs.com

Enable the Virus scan by clicking on FIX on MSC.

The AVERT labs will check the file and tell you what can be done.

Thanks

Regards

Mahesh CJ

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community