Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmrudeen
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Security Scan Plus says attention needed

Jump to solution

I just intalled McAfee Security Center 9.15.  At some previous point, McAfee Security Scan Plus was added to my PC.  I am running Windows 7.

When I run  McAfee Security Scan Plus, I get warnings that Virus and Spyware Protection and Fireware Protection need attention because I have more than one anti-virus and firewall product installed.

When I check the Action Center for installed anti-virus and firewall programs, it tells me that in addition to McAfee, I have Norton Internet Security installed and Norton and Windows firewalls installed.  The Norton came with the computer, and I have never activated it.

Is this what is causing the warning?  Only the McAfee programs are turned on.  The others are turned OFF.  Do I need to remove the Norton program?    Am I safe if only the McAfee security programs are ON?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CopyRon
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Security Scan Plus says attention needed

Jump to solution

Would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Norton to prevent conflicts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CopyRon
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Norton to prevent conflicts.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Security Scan Plus was most likely added accidentally when you installed or updated an Adobe product (for example).

See the attached picture to show what I mean (click to enlarge).   It's an option that one must uncheck if not wanted.

It's merely a promotional tool to tell you how good your current protection is and can be uninstalled in the normal manner through the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7).

Look for 'McAfee Security Scan Plus' in the Program list.

I've noticed Norton and other companies employing the same tactics, so it isn't exclusively a McAfee 'feature'.

As Ron has stated you must remove Norton security or McAfee wont function correctly - I'm surprised McAfee installs with it already there..

Remove in the normal manner and then run this....

Norton Removal Tool:  http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln...

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/09/10 7:41:26 EDT AM
kmrudeen
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Removing Norton did the trick.

Thanks!

kmrudeen
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Removing Norton did the trick.  Thanks!

I never installed Norton (a free trial came with the computer) so do I need to run the Norton removal tool?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Well then Norton was already installed I guess so it's best to run the removal tool anyway.  It wont do any harm.

You'll also have to remove McAfee Security Scan as it's merely an online check to recommend what you need in the way of security software.

Then you can install whatever security software you wish to have.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community