cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaimethelimey
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Security Center update causing no boot in windows / resolution

Problem and a resolution in case anyone else encounters this problem.

Security Center notified me this morning that it had updated and required a reboot.  I proceeded and at the point it should be booting to my primary disk, it would just hang with a blinking DOS cursor.

After spending a few hours trying to repair the issue, I went into my BIOS setting to find that it had somehow rearranged my disk boot order.

I was not ammused.  Anyway, hope this helps somebody.

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Re: Security Center update causing no boot in windows / resolution

Mcafee would not do this. that said in case this an issue I have pinged a tech to comment

knsingh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Hi Jamie,

Could you please update us with following details.

Operating system

Type of Intenet connection (DSL, Wireless, Cable, Dialup)

The  DAT version and McAfee Build Version on your computer. (you may find these details once you click on about on right top cornner of McAfee Security window) .

Regards

Kriz

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Tony's response is correct. McAfee Security applications do not write to CMOS data locations.

I dug around the web and the two applications that I came up with that could write to the BIOS setting locations would include BIOS firmware flashing application and  over clocking applications. Both of these applications are main board specific applications due to the unique nature of this data.

I seem to recall some mother board's  allowing one to change the boot order dynamically for just the one session by pressing the drive letter while the system boots. I couldn't find documentation for this on the web though.

Thinking about this now, there is one possible explanation that I have witnessed over time. When the CMOS battery gets weak data may be lost and or corrupt. In the past you would notice that the clocks times was wrong and or your hard drive  setting were wrong. With online time servers and auto-detection for hard drives these indicators are no longer present. If the system is a few years old this is possible.

Kriz's request for more information could help isolate this issue. Could determine that make and model of the computer and or mother board, any hardware vendor system utilities installed along with the OS versions and post them.

jaimethelimey
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

I totally agree with your assessment, but this was the only change made the system before reboot.  Also, I didn't perfom any keystrokes that would cause the boot order to change (if that is a BIOS feature on my system).

The PC is a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with an Intel H57 running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.  Internet connection is cable.

Security Center is v11.6, build 11.6.435

Dat version is 6870

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community