cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksrandall
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Security Center unable to update; Can't uninstall/reinstall SC because I can't access Mcafee website (please click for more info)

Hi!  I'm having problems updating Security Center.

A few days ago, I got a message from the Mcafee Security Center (SC) that said, "Your computer is at risk!"  When I opened SC, I found out that the program was unable to update. I tried to update by clicking on the Check For Updates option, but that failed. The computer was searching for updates but didn't find anything. . I have had simillar problems in the past, and the problems have always been solved by uninstalling and reinstalling Mcafee. When I tried to access the website this time, I got the following message via Internet Explorer:  "This website is unable to display th webpage. (HTTP 501/HTTP 505) "  I tried to access the website via Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, and I got the following message:  "The specified method is not supported."   I tried to access Mcafee Tech Support's website, and I'm getting the same messages.

It's only by a stroke of luck that I managed to find this website by googling, "SecurityCenter unable to update." I didn't know about the existence of this website until today.

Just so you know, everything else on my computer is working okay. It's only Mcafee that is having problems. I don't want to uninstall Mcafee because I'm afraid I might not be able to reinstall at all.

I just want to update Mcafee. Please help!

About my computer:

Emachines T6410

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+

2.19 Ghz, 2 GB RAM

Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 3,

Internet Service:  Comcast Cable Internet (always connected to the Internet)

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Susan Randall

Message was edited by: ksrandall on 8/23/10 5:04:57 PM CDT
4 Replies
sweety
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Security Center unable to update; Can't uninstall/reinstall SC because I can't access Mcafee website (please click for more info)

Hi Susan,
          If your not able to get into " mcafee " website,there is 2 possibilities,either ur computer is not connecting to secure servers like mcafee or some kinda virus program stopping you from connecting to mcafee.
Wat u can try is:

try to ping download.mcafee.com in command prompt.

>>.If u get  reply as "ping request could not found" ..u need to contact your ISP (comcast)

>> If u get  reply as 127.0.0.1

following the link below to fix the problem and try updating mcafee

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100411

All the best 🙂

ksrandall
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Re: Security Center unable to update; Can't uninstall/reinstall SC because I can't access Mcafee website (please click for more info)

Could you please post the info from the link you just posted. My computer can't access anything from any Mcafee .com website (except this one).

ksrandall
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

I just tried to ping download.mcafee.com. It says:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping download.mcafee.com

Pinging a2047.x.akamai.net [184.84.222.72] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 184.84.222.72: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=55
Reply from 184.84.222.72: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=55
Reply from 184.84.222.72: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=55
Reply from 184.84.222.72: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 184.84.222.72:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 30ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

I've attached a picture so you can see the result I got.

I don't know what it means though. I'm not a techie.

Message was edited by: ksrandall on 8/23/10 6:40:21 PM CDT
Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hello Susan,

Please follow the below prompts and let me know the outcome;

From the Taskbar, click Start, and Run.
In the Run field, type notepad %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts then click OK.

Note: This will open the 'hosts' file in Notepad.
Remove all lines referencing McAfee websites, or Network Associates International (NAI) websites.

Examples of such lines are:

69.299.33.21 bin.mcafee.com

120.30.243.19 nai.com
Note: You can ignore all lines that start with the # symbol.

Click File.
Click Save.
Close Notepad and try to update your McAfee product again.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community