cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
80eight
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Security Center or Internet Security Suite?

My McAfee subscription will be ending soon, and I need to make a couple of decisions. I have a Dell computer and received a few emails recently about the new and improved SecurityCenter. It is being offered at a discount until June 30. I am also looking at Internet Security Suite and Family Protection. My first question is simply, Which is better; the new SecurityCenter or Internet Security Suite? The Suite is actually being offered at a better price for three computers than SecurityCenter on one. My thirteen year old spends a lot of time on the internet with friends and such. I would like to monitor where she goes and who she's talking with as well as limit the time she is on the internet. Is Family Protection a better option for her computer? Many thanks, in advance, for your input.

80Eight
14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

RE: Security Center or Internet Security Suite?

The Security Center is merely the interface for all the different components, Firewall Plus, VirusScan etc. Internet Security Suite is a set of applications offered at a set price,

You can compare products here: http://home.mcafee.com/store/ProductComparison.aspx

Alll of them include Security Center.

Family Protection is a separate product which takes Parental Controls much further than previously possible.

http://home.mcafee.com/Store/Package.aspx?pkgid=342
red_dawn
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Peter,

The McAfee OEM package offered through Dell is simply called McAfee Security Center, I haven't really checked before, but I think it is similar to Internet Security, minus SiteAdvisor and Automatically back up your data.

happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

Really? I wasn't aware of that, sorry. I was looking at this page which reflects basically the same stuff as the McAfee Home Page.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=A1999760
80eight
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

OK, having said all of that, which is the most cost efficient option? Internet Security Suite is listed on the McAfee web page as presently 3 Licenses for 34.99 while SecurityCenter is going for 49.99 for one license and an additional 10.00 for each subsequent computer. Obviously, I'm looking for the most "bang for the buck".
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

Can you point me to a page where I can see this "Security Center"?. It depends what you want. If you are the only one using the machine, or have no kids then all you need is VirusScan Plus. Unless you want spam filtering as well.
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I would recommend you purchase directly from McAfee. Whenever new products are launched partners like Dell and Comcast take longer to offer them to customers.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Agreed. Comcast is a year behind right now & there's nothing McAfee can do about it.
red_dawn
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Thanks for that link, Peter. I wasn't aware Dell offered such variety now in security software. When I bought my Dell two years ago, there was only a choice between McAfee and Norton. I purchased a three year subscription to McAfee along with my computer and it was just named Security Center (in add/remove), even on the backup disk, oh well.

Best regards,
Nicko.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

In Add/Remove it will always just show as McAfee Security Center, because when you select that for uninstallation it then asks you which component(s) you wish to remove.

I think new things like Family Protection may be listed separately, but as I don't have it, I'm not sure about that.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community