cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonH
Contributor
Message 31 of 39

Re: Scheduled scans?

I'm not a security software expert either. That's what I pay McAfee for. I expect them to know how things should be set up and to provide a product that works correctly right out of the box. Maybe that's too much to expect these days.What bothers me the most about all this is the confusion level. A dialog box suggests one thing but the online help says another. How are mere mortals supposed to know what's right? I sure don't.

--Ron

PS: does anyone know how to turn off email notifications in this forum? I mean, permanently. I thought I had it toggled off but I'm still getting them. {argh}

Peacekeeper
Message 32 of 39

Re PS your stuff and preferences. Resatart community and email should not come. Does that work of is this what you were doeing. If so will pass this up the line.

Peacekeeper
Message 33 of 39

Probably was the security centre 195 and firewall 135 builds that fixed the XP mcsvhost error. Haven't heard re 6 weeks but we are getting two major patches by then so it is possible it is in the second as it is a big 1.

RonH
Contributor
Message 34 of 39

Thanks very much. I hadn't set any preferences at all but rather used the side toggle to set email prefs. That apparently only works on a per message, of perhaps per thread basis. Anyway, I've toggled off all email notifications in my preferences dialog and hopefully that will take care of it. I appreciate the response.

--Ron

Peacekeeper
Message 35 of 39

Remind me again what OS you have? If you leave the PC for 4 hrs say with nothing but the Mcafee software running ie no downloads etc does it update. What doe sthe note re whaen next update say ie open the Security centre and click on updates and you will see lat update and next update time.

As I am typing here mine jumped foeward 10 minutes as the pC is not idle.

It seems to be working ok in my PC just need idle time and you can run manual updates if you want but Smart timer is not very user friendly in my opinion.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 36 of 39

Hi All,
Please be informed that Scheduled scans do not always appear to start when scheduled. This is by design.

McAfee has changed the way scheduled scans start to prevent your computer from launching a scan while you are using it, which could cause performance to be slower than desired.

When the scheduled time for a scan occurs, McAfee SecurityCenter begins to monitor your computer for activity. If no keyboard or mouse activity occurs for 10 minutes, SecurityCenter then monitors for CPU usage. If CPU usage remains under 10% for 10 seconds, the scheduled scan will begin.

Could you please confirm if we still have issues with scheduled scan; so that we could diagnose and help you in getting this resolved.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

poodles5
Former Member
Message 37 of 39

Hi everyone- my scheduled scans are starting on time, they have been for a few weeks, I know when they are to begin so I make sure there is no activity before hand as you suggested. I go one step further, I close down outlook express- after about 30 minutes I then check my mail and all is fine.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 38 of 39

Thanks for the confirmation podles5, . . . .much appreciated.

forum
Contributor III
Message 39 of 39

Hi Dinesh K,

My concern is not with the scan itself happening.  I personally think the way you described  is a weird way for McAfee to decide how to conduct a scheduled scan--how about just asking the user if it is ok to do at that time and if not when?  Quite frankly, if a scan is scheduled the user knows it is going to happen then, and computer may be slower, no?   My concern is with the indication that a scan is in fact taking place and the longer time taken to scan than before the "update".  That is,  I have to always double check to make sure that a scan is occuring or has occured since I do not get the moving circle in the McAfee icon.  This change occured with the revamped "update" in April 2010 and the lack of any indication is also a factor for updates to virus scan, spam, firewall etc..  Most disconcerting.  I have to constantly check to make sure I have the latest versions since McAfee no longer shows an update happening or notifies me that one has occured.  My understanding from the McAfee technicians is that this is known to them (but only if one points out that it is all over the forums--before that in the conversation I am told it is my computers only) and that it will be fixed (???????).  It has been awhile --since April 2010--and no fix as yet.  The explanation given is that it is one of the bugs yet to be worked out in the "update" which was done to accomodate Windows 7.  I have 2 computers and this lack of notification happens on both.  I wish McAfee would update back to pre April 2010 Total Protection infrastructure when all worked well for this XP user.  Very frustrating year to be a McAfee user.  Do you know when the fix will occur?

Forum (a McAfee user since 2001)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community