cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparc4me
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Scanning Progress shows "Scanning: Rootkit" AV Plus Crashes + indiscreet Pop-Up upon Internet Connection

Don't know when this 'new' functionality update took place. I've read in other discussions that this is normal(?) behavior and implies the scanner is currently checking for RootKits.

I was not seeing this in quick scans only Full scans. Also I don't see it occur during full scan in safe mode.

Can we get some 'Official' verification on this  - like from a tech rather than a volunteer or guest.

I kept seeing the 'Scanning: Rootkit' in scan progress during a full scan in normal mode. I did not sit and watch until the crash but at least one of the scans made it to about 46% complete (last looked at) before crashing. On several occasions I had started the on-demand (I don't do auto scans or updates) full scan and walked away (or went to sleep) expecting the scan to be completed.

But the scans were not completing (or showing as even having been initiated in the scan log (security history).

After these occurances I watched the scan progress more closely which is when I noticed 'Scanning: Rootkit' intermittently and for various lengths of time in between scanning normal files as usual. 

Since I was unable to have a full scan complete I proceeded with a complete uninstall /reinstall (to include using MCPR to clean-up).

I went through the uninstall / reinstall process 3 times before finally being able to complete a Full on-demand scan.

I'd really like to see an official statement that "Scanning: RootKit" in scan progress is new functionality and in fact means  (scanning for rootkit(s).

Also, why when I watch the scan progress while doing a full on-demand scan in Safe Mode do I not see this 'new' functionality at all.

I've also noticed an additional (hopefully unrelated problem).

As soon as I initiate an internet connection a Mcafee Ad pops up asking If I'd like to install on all the unprotected systems on "My Home Network" and it gives a list of all the unprotected computers by name.

The PROBLEM is I'm always only on a PUBLIC NETWORK (which is NOT trusted in "My Home Network) and is in fact listed as PUBLIC in the firewall under "My Internet Connections".

Since it is a PUBLIC network with hundreds of "UN (Mcafee) PROTECTED" systems I should not see those computer (names) nor should they see my system since I have the

Stealth setting invoked.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Scanning Progress shows "Scanning: Rootkit" AV Plus Crashes + indiscreet Pop-Up upon Internet Connection

We are going to discuss the 'rootkit scan' issue on our next Conference Call with McAfee staff.  That isn't until the 9th September.  Technical Support would be the best people to ask about the other issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Re: Scanning Progress shows "Scanning: Rootkit" AV Plus Crashes + indiscreet Pop-Up upon Internet Connection

I got an answer from development already:

We are still performing rootkit scan, this is the same text that has always appeared when we did rootkit scans before, it’s just that the user sees it more frequently now.

"The reason for frequent appears of this test is that rootkit scanning can take some time.  Without updating the UI that we are still scanning for rootkits (in between finishing file and registry scans) it appears to the user as though the scan has hung. The change to make this test more visible was made in 12.8 in response to a bug in which someone thought it was taking 10+ minutes to scan a small files."

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/08/13 6:30:48 EDT AM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

All it needs is a simple modification to the program. Presumably when the scan moves to checking for rootkits there's a line of text that the program displays in the UI ("Scanning : Rootkits"). So, change it to something less alarming, like "Check for rootkits".

It's basically a usability issue. Perhaps it should have been noticed in beta testing .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

You might want to respond to the comment in the agenda for our next call then - I agree the wording could be better.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community