cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unclepotter
Former Member
Message 1 of 23

Scan Won't Start At The Designated Time.

Hi all,

I have McAfee 2010 Security Center to scan at 7,30am every Friday,but it never starts at that time,sometimes it will be an hour later,or other various times,but never starts on the time set.When I was using the 2009 version it started bang on 7.30 am every time?

22 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 23

Re: Scan Won't Start At The Designated Time.

It is pre-programmed to wait 10 minutes if there is any CPU activity and a further 10 minutes for good measure and then proceed.  But we have found that it waits too long and it is being looked at by the developers.

The same goes for updates by the way.

They are aware of it.

I suggested they scrap that feature (waiting) altogether as there is always going to be some CPU activity.

Unclepotter
Former Member
Message 3 of 23

Hi, and thank you for your reply Today it was scheduled to start at 7am (GMT) and actually started at 8.02 am (GMT).As you have pointed out there is always some cpu activity even with your browser closed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 23

Exactly.  Hopefully it will be improved upon in the next version or perhaps via a major patch on this one.

Unclepotter
Former Member
Message 5 of 23

I use to schedule a scan for 7.30am Friday as that is the time I do my weekly shopping,on my return the 2009 version would have started on time and finished by my return.

Now its a bit of a lottery.I have done 5 weekly sheduled scans since being upgraded to the 2010 version and they have all started at different times..8.02am,9.53am,7,36am,8.00am and 9.06 am..

Hopefully there will be a patch sooner rather than later.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 23

I know what you mean.   Personally I don't scedule scans but run one only if I feel something is amiss, but it would be nice to see a patch for this soon.

Unclepotter
Former Member
Message 7 of 23

Hi..So is it ok just turn off schedule scanning..It doesn't affect updates or real time scanning etc?I think if that would be ok I could just set a manual scan going for when I go out and then I know it will shave started and finished by the time I get home.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 23

Yes that would be fine.   Turning of scheduled scan doesn't affect protection at all.   The added advantage of a manual scan is that you can tailor it more to suit your needs - like tell it only to scan one drive etc., using the Custom Scan option.

Unclepotter
Former Member
Message 9 of 23

Hi and thank you for your prompt reply.

I think I will do that for the time being,that way I know its scanning when I tell it to.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 23

Indeed.  Good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community