cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidbrandis
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Same Computer Showing Up More Than Once Under Device Protection

I think it's best I tell the whole story just in case it bears any relevance to the problems I'm experiencing

Two weeks ago I set up my new Dell XPS 8500 computer (Windows 7 Home Premium) and took advantage of their upgrade offer to Windows 8 Pro.   However, on installing Windows 8, I found there were serious conflicts between my McAfee SecurityCenter and my new Operating System (i.e. none of the apps on the Start Menu would open). I was forced to do a System Refresh, which removed, among other things, my McAfee SecurityCenter. This meant the only thing protecting my computer was Microsoft's own Windows Defender, but on the plus side, my Start screen apps were now working perfectly . I then started reinstalling the applications that the System Refresh had removed. I deliberately left McAfee SecurityCenter till last because I'd been reading that other users had been having the very same problem and had narrowed it down to their McAfee software being the cause.

I finally reinstalled McAfee SecurityCenter and to my surprise, the apps on my Windows 8 Start screen were opening ok. However, that was not the end of my problems. I now found my computer would hang on shutdown and I'd be forced to use the power button. Obviously this is not good so I decided to take my computer back to its last Restore Point (i.e., to before I'd reinstalled McAfee SecurityCenter) and shutdown is back to working normally again.

I'm back to using Windows Defender (which I don't really feel comfortable with) to protect my computer but here's the thing:- I have a 3 year subscription with McAfee (which doesn't expire until 02/02/2016) but when I checked my McAfee account online, it was showing the same computer listed more than once under "Device Protection" (see attached screen captures) with a message saying I was using a license more than the one I was allowed.  Incidentally, I only have ONE computer so obviously I don't require any additional licenses. I was worried that McAfee might try to bill me for a non-existent computer/license so I tried to remedy this by deactivating the subscription on one of the listed computers. This however, created even more problems because I got an onscreen message telling me my software would be deactivated in 7 days . I'm getting the same message on my computer in my McAfee SecurityCenter window. I've tried downloading/reinstalling McAfee SecurityCenter but all to no avail. I've tried to reactivate my account to get it back to its original settings but it takes me to a page asking for £30 for a second license. The point is I don't want or need a second license, I merely want to get it back to the original setting where my subscription expires on 02/02/2016. Failing this, can you tell me the steps I need to take to cancel my subscription altogether and obtain a full refund?

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Same Computer Showing Up More Than Once Under Device Protection

The account is showing an extra machine probably because you didn't uninstall the software in the normal way prior to the upgrade.  Microsoft and most Windows help forums will always advise you to uninstall any security software before doing an upgrade of a system and I in fact did a little article about it some time ago here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1195

You can deactivate any machine not in use or duplicate entry on your account page but as far as deleting it I'm not sure that can be done, but Customer Service would know and that's a free phone call, or online chat.  The link is listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Windows Defender in Windows 8 contains antivirus so when any 3rd party antivirus such as McAfee is installed it is automatically disabled and should be left in that state.

If there are any entries in Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program for McAfee, uninstall.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed in a FAQ linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and reinstall your software from your online account.

I notice you get it from Dell.  So the version you get from them may be older than what is currently available from McAfee directly,  That can't be remedied without starting a new account.

Any question regarding Technical details, installation problems etc. can be directed by free phone call or online chat to Technical Support, also linked under Useful Links.

All accounts questions, refunds etc. are dealt with by Customer Service, see Useful Links as I mentioned earlier.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/02/13 5:05:19 EST PM
davidbrandis
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your response.  However, I've tried several times to contact both Customer Support and Technical Support via Useful Links as you suggested, but everytime I hit the "Submit" button after filling out the online form, my request fails to go through. Is there an email address where I can contact them directly without going through these unreliable automated submission boxes?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Possibly something wrong with the browser settings.   The online forms rely on default settings in all browsers, including IE., also up to date Java/Flash etc.

You must have overlooked the phone option perhaps?  For the U.K. :  (they can then connect you onwards if necessary)

Customer Service for Home and Home Office

Telephone Customer Service

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call us at 0800 028 7581.

Estimated wait time: 10-30 minutes

Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday

davidbrandis
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Thanks again, Peter, but I was hoping to avoid the phone option because supposedly "freephone numbers" such as 0800 aren't actually free when dialed from a mobile (cell) phone here in the UK (unfortunately, I don't have a landline) in fact, such calls can prove quite expensive.  Plus, with there being an "Estimated wait time" of 10-30 minutes, I'm sure you can fully understand my reluctance to phone them (and hence the reason I'd much rather email them).

Incidentally, you said the reason I wasn't able to submit the online form could possibly be due to something wrong with the browser settings.  FYI, I use IE10 and have never changed the default settings and my Java is up to date - in fact, I've had no problems submitting online forms on other websites.  The problem only seems to happen on here, I will keep trying though and even borrow my son's laptop and see if I have better luck using that to submit the online form.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

I checked again and I found the email option is also greyed out.  The online chat client should work if your have your browser set to default.   In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click reset and OK any prompts.  Also make sure that all add-ons are updated and that you don't have more than one popup-blocker active.

davidbrandis
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I'd already tried emailing them from my son's laptop before I saw your latest message, and guess what... the email went through without a hitch!  I've received a Service Request number so given it's the weekend, hopefully I'll hear back from them by mid-week.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again for your help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Well I guess the website is acting weirdly for some reason.  Glad you managed to communicate with them.  😉   Let's hope it produces results.

davidbrandis
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Spoke to a McAfee Representative this morning via Live Chat Support, who walked me through the whole process of resolving the issues I was having with my deactivated account.  It turns out it was a simple matter of changing the name of my computer and downloading and installing trhe McAfee software again.  Before I did this, however, I followed your instructions on how to uninstall McAfee and run the MCPR cleanup tool.

Admittedly, at first, when I reinstalled the software, I was still experiencing the problem of my computer hanging on shutdown (forcing me to do a hard shutdown).  This, however, was resolved by doing a forced update of my McAfee software.  I'm happy to report that all issues seem to have now been resolved.

I'd just like to say a great big "Thank You" to you and the Tech Support Team for helping me fix my problems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

That's good.  All the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community