cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boomboomer
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Recently re-installed Windows XP and my McAfee won't reinstall

I reinstalled windows XP on one of my PCs, and when I try to reinstall McAfee Security Center (which I downloaded from my account profile) I get an error message

INSTALLATION INCOMPLETE

We couldnt install any of the security features included with your software. To fix this, you can

Try installing them again

Run McAfee Virtual Technician

Contact McAfee Support for more information

Tried calling for service, but I got placed on hold for a half hour and gave up.

Any help?

8 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Recently re-installed Windows XP and my McAfee won't reinstall

Hi boomboomer,

You can also have a check on the below items before reisntallation ;

Go to control panel - Add/Remove programs (Programs & features in Vista & Win 7)

Check if you have any other security software that might interrupt McAfee Installation (If so please uninstall them appropriately before McAfee installation)

Navigate to C:\Documents & Settings & C:\Program files and delete if you have folders of any other antivirus program.

Restart the comptuer and start teapping the key F8 , now you would have the advanced boot options

Use your mouse arrow keys on the key board and select Safe mode with Networking and proceed to the desktop

Once you are at teh deskptop, Open your web browser and logon to http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and retry installation and let us know the status .

Regards,

crystal
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

My Husband also is having this problem with XP

He was only trying to add the new expirey date to his McAfee Account licence ... The software proceded to uninstal his McAfee then reinstal but we got the same era

It has been 3 days during our most busyest time of buisness "CYBER MONDAY" for our online store  grrrr

He has spent all day on the phone to the tecks .... 7 PM and it still isnt working ....

(The tecks are pretty patient to be on the phone for the hole day trying to solve this)

The tech has said during his time on the phone there was a new interface and on my pc new McAfee window looks alot different now.
The new version is something to do with the new release of Windows 8

The tech is now walking him through a system restore back to before the issue .... I know this wont help Boomer since he did a OS reinstall
Hoping this will help others with XP to understand why the problem is there as there is some kind of conflict with XP and to speed up there trouble shooting

There should be a warning when you go to download that there is a new interface and ask if you want to proceed or a check box before it starts to remove your working security software to something that is still a beta version or  *.0  ..... that may not even install because of some glitch/bug

Good Luck

Crystal

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 4 of 9

Today I have had the same problem!

I have two products (McAfee Antivirus Plus and McAfee Internet Security), but , after uninstall the McA AV P, I have not been able to install none of them. 

With the attendance of the patients technical of the support, I have looked for virus (Stinger), I have cleaned the uninstall with the MCPR, I have prepared the new install with the McA Preinstall Tool... Everything without results. 

The Virtual McAfee Tecnician doesn't solve the problem because it cannot work if it doesn't settle SOMETHING of the programs. 

The installation fails in its first seconds (after the download of the installation files), for what is not able to install the McAfee Shield. 

And start the PC with secure mode... don't work to install McAfee.

I am about to go toward other programs...

El mensaje fue editado por: mcscotty57 on 30/11/12 0:03:12 CST

El mensaje fue editado por: mcscotty57 on 04/12/12 16:23:03 CST
mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 5 of 9

The installer McAfee Setup.exe doesn't work in my system.

Is there another way to installing the programs that I bought?

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 6 of 9

Finally I was able to install the McAfee Antivirus Plus. I got it after installing the Windows Installer 4.5!

I don't know if the WinInstaller needed an update or upgrade, or it was corrupt. But that was the cause of the problem. 

I hope this information will be useful for other users. 

Greetings!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

If you have been using registry cleaners, stop because they can cause that sort of malfunction.  Of course infection can also trigger similar problems.

Always keep your system totally up to date and to keep McAfee working correctly always keep Internet Explorer up to date whether you use it or not, because McAfee's display is handled by IE.

Glad you are OK now.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 8 of 9

Thank you, Ex_Brit. Really, I didn't know that risk to use registry cleaners. It can be that the cause.

Best regards!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

You're welcome.  As this is a rather old thread I am locking it.  Anyone with similar problems, or new ones, please start a new thread.  Thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community