cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheoCupier
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Really odd websites being blocked by parental controls

I hope this is the right forum for this, it seems as if questions about Parental Controls get put in the board relating to the version of McAfee software they are deployed in... this relates to Security Centre 9.2.130

My children have limited user access to a PC and the parental controls for this account are set as "Child".

I'm surprised by some of the websites which are being blocked. Already I've had to manually Allow permission to www.bbc.co.uk, specifically because its site dedicated to 2-5 year olds (www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/) was blocked.

Similarly, the children's section of our network TV channel (www.itv.co.uk/citv) is also blocked.

Is there any rhyme or reason why these child-focussed sites are blocked?

While I do not allow my children to use the PC without a degree of supervision, bizarre decisions on content filtering such as this do undermine my confidence in the service.
4 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

RE: Really odd websites being blocked by parental controls

If a limited user is set as Child then the user will definitely be able to browse all kind of websites which they are supposed to go.

However, please check the following:

Open McAfee Security Center> Click on Parental Controls> Click on Configure on the right side> Click on the Advanced button that’s related to Parental Controls> Select the User Account> Click on Edit> Make sure “Age Appropriate Searching is Turned Off
TheoCupier
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the response BalaSGS.

I have now turned OFF "Age Appropriate Searching" for this limited user account.

Is this a know bug/issue - that having age appropriate searching somehow messes up the permissions on content filtering?

The blocked web pages were accessed by typing the URLs directly or following links from other (unblocked) parts of the website - not via a google search.

Sorry for the stupid question, I just want to make sure we're treating the right symptoms (and not reducing the level of protection on that limited account any further than I have to)!
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

No it’s not a bug but it’s an additional feature that’s been added to this version, but don’t worry it will not reduce the security level in anyway.
TheoCupier
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reassurance. However, I don't understand why turning this feature off will affect the sites which the Parental Control setting blocks or allows by default, which is the issue I'm trying to understand.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community