cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunrise59
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Real-time scanning turns itself off....again

My real time scanning is turning itself off....again.  I had this issue a year or so ago and McAfee had the issue.  It is doing it again.  I am running XP.  I had a technician from McAfee log on to my computer and did some things and said to restart and it would be fixed.  Wrong!  He/She ran the Virtual Technician and found a couple of issues but said they fixed them.  I still see a couple of things when I run the Virtual Technician.

Shows:  VirusScan- McAfee Total Protection 15.0.288

Pending: DAT out of date

and

SiteAdvisor 2.9.239

Problem: Product upgrade required

But I can't seem to get these fixed.  It says update now for the DAT, but it doesn't work.  And I don't know why the SiteAdvisor isn't upgraded.  I know I pay for the program each year in December.  You'd think it would include upgrading everything I pay for.  Any ideas?

5 Replies
natch
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Real-time scanning turns itself off....again

I've had the same problem for the last couple of days which I've spent reading and trying out the many solutions on pages similar to this one but to no avail. I'm not very computer savvy so I naturally thought that coming to the McAfee 'help' sections such as this would provide a concise answer on how to resolve this problem. Looks like I was wrong... If I don't get any joy on this thread from someone from McAfee willing to help me personally, then I'll use another AV from someone else and never return to McAfee again.

Over to you!

Message was edited by: natch on 05/06/11 08:39:40 CDT
mod2011
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I feel your frustration.  I have been experiencing the same problem and decided to join this "Community" in the hope that some one might have an answer.  I am not a computer savy individual either.  I am reaching out to others for solution, since McAfee's service/support have turned out to be very user-unfriendly, and full of twist and turns.

I noticed that this problem occured after an automatic installation of Windows Update. So, as a last resort I decided to restore mine to the date prior to the installed update and that fixed it.  I am not sure if this was a smart thing to do, but the annoying message of "Real-Time Scanning is Off" is no longer there.

Message was edited by: mod2011 on 6/5/11 1:36:28 PM CDT
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 4 of 6

Hi All,

You have a problem with VirusScan turning itself off.

I run with VirusScan turned off, because I can't exclude folders for Real-Time Scanning.

You posters are posting without giving a lot of critical information.

Information needed for good posting:

McAfee Security Center Build, not Version is required.

Operating system version, its type of operating system (That is, Home, Professional or Media Edition) Service Pack Level and 32-Bit or 64-Bit.

Some posters are talking about Windows Update, but not mentioning which Windows Update to avoid.

natch
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the info, even if I don't understand what you are talking about! My problem has been resolved by allowing McAfee to take control of my computer and they seem to have fixed whatever was wrong and my AV has now been running fine for about 6 hours, so credit to them for that. I can't find the link that took me to McAfee so apologies for that. Told you I wasn't computer savy!

Good luck to those of you with problems like I had.

milo
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

I'm having the same problem on my laptop and it seems to me from the number of entries discussing this topic that McAfee has a known bug that has been going on for over a year. The scale of the problem is intimated by the fact that if you type into google "mcafee total protection r" it will autofill from the r to "mcafee total protection real time scanning won't stay on".

As someone who enjoys computers but has very little technical understanding, programs playing up are perhaps the most frustrating and dissatisfying experience possible. I resent the two hours I've wasted this weekend. The virtual technician has noticed that the real time scanner won't stay on but appears not to be fixing it - it has had a green bar flashing like Knight Rider's Kitt's bonnet for the past 90 minutes and I've concluded from reading other threads that it's probably not doing anything.

The fact that it is a widespread problem you would think McAfee would have an article explaining the problem and how to fix it but I can't find anything except for what's on these forums. In the absence of a clear statement from McAfee on how to fix this common problem it means my frustration is exacerbated by the belief that I'm dealing with a product from a company that is in denial. I'll be looking at alternatives when it comes to my renewal.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community