Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LorettaPersello
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Real time scanning stuck off; McAfee updates cause crash

Jump to solution

I'm running Windows XP home with dial up. On 6-22 a very lengthly McAfee update performed. After update prompted me to restart pc, I did so and real time scanning became disabled. When I attempted to connect to internet I got a blue window saying a problem was detected and windows shut down to protect my pc. I did a system restore and everything came back ok except McAfee Virus Scan still showing real time scanning off. I turn it on and goes back off immediately. I ran virtual technician and oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility. Nothing helps to get real time scanner back on.  Since 6-22 a couple updates have completed ok, but last night another occurance just like on 6-22. Update took forever and upon restart and connect to internet got same blue window. Had to system restore again to get pc back. I figure next step is to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Virus Scan Plus. McAfee info states system restore can disable real time scanner but mine was disabled before I did original system restore. It became disabled right after 6-22 update. Should I perform uninstall and attempt to re-install? I have 7 months left on my subscription, but I figure in the state I'm in right now firewall is working but virus protection isn't, and I'm not going to do anymore updates since that's what's causing my pc to get blue error window. As I said I'm using dial up. Will I be able to re-install my Virus Scan Plus through "my account" with dial up connection? Never before 6-22 had scanner problem or blue error window. Can anyone verify was McAfee update what caused my pc go go eratic? I've never had a virus so don't know what it's like. My pc is working perfectly right now except my Mcafee Virus Scan still shows real time scanning off. So I don't think I have a virus.  I'd appreciate anyone sharing their views as I've never had a problem like this before.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Real time scanning stuck off; McAfee updates cause crash

Jump to solution

This is XP SP3 I hope?   I know being on dial-up this is a pain but the best solution is now to uninstall, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

System Restore cures many things but it can corrupt time-sensitive applications such as virus protection.  So can the use of registry cleaners FYI.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

This is XP SP3 I hope?   I know being on dial-up this is a pain but the best solution is now to uninstall, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

System Restore cures many things but it can corrupt time-sensitive applications such as virus protection.  So can the use of registry cleaners FYI.

LorettaPersello
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi Ex Brit,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I have SP3 and windows updates current. Thanks for reinforcing my thought to uninstall and re-install. Figured it would come to that. Yes, dial up is a  pain but love my MSN explorer and usually find it not too slow to tolerate.  Will do as you stated, and wish me luck for success. Thanks again,

Loretta

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Loretta,

Good luck and I hope it works.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community