cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carpetburger
Former Member
Message 81 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

this is the second time after ive updated real time scanning has turned off after and wont turn back on after. i cant remember how i fixed it last time but tech fix wont fix it. can please some one help?

Peacekeeper
Message 82 of 150

Asking in our mod call

johnv
Former Member
Message 83 of 150

I never had this problem in past years with McAfee until my subscription expired in April and I switched to Total Protection.  Since then, it has occured twice.  Both times I was able to correct it with System Restore, albeit only temporary, from what others have said.  The Virtual Technition didn't solve the problem..  Something is remiss when you have to go to a User Forum to find answers to issues  for services that you are paying for.

johnv

Peacekeeper
Message 84 of 150

Try update first (manual right click on shield)

Look in the event logs and see if you have a mcscan32 error with error 1 3 or 8. If so run the superdat file.

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx

Did you try the uninstall path sometimes an install gets corrupted.

Carpetburger you right now?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/06/11 6:42:55 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/06/11 6:49:02 AM
jlwissmi
Former Member
Message 85 of 150

Hi, Dinesh. I was having the same problem yesterday - my Real Time scan kept turning off. I think that I have solved the problem by reinstalling McAfee, but I don't know if it will come back or not. Let me know if there's any further information I can provide that will help McAfee sort out a fix for this problem.

edinopks
Former Member
Message 86 of 150

• I'm having the same issue! 

I recently updated my subscription to McAfee Antivirus Plus 2011 on my Dell 1330 laptop running Vista Home Premium (32bit) with all the SP’s and latest updates.  Other than Windows Defender, there is no other anti-virus or malware scanning software installed and the previous edition of McAfee AV+ ran without a hitch.

Likewise I recently I recently updated my subscription to McAfee Antivirus Plus 2011 on my Dell XPS G4 running XP Pro (32bit) with all the SP’s and latest updates.  There is no other anti-virus or malware scanning software installed and the previous edition of McAfee AV+ ran without a hitch.

After the updated install (downloaded from McAfee’s site) and when rebooted, McAfee control panel shows my ‘computer is at risk’ because real-time scanning is switched off.  Pressing ‘turn on' just returns to 'at risk' after a few seconds.  Trying to do a manual scan produced an ‘Error Message’ box of little or no help.

Running McAfee Virtual Technician found no problems. Following all the steps outlined in the FAQ’s, including a complete uninstall and reinstall resulted in no help – same issue persisted.  I also tried ‘Update’ and it went through the motions, but same result – Real Time Scanning turned off!  Once again, trying to do a manual scan produced an ‘Error Message’ box of little or no help.

What DID appear to fix the problem?

My home network consists of two PCs – the Dell XPS G4 desktop and the Dell 1330 laptop operating through a gateway router.  Both computers were running the same copy of to McAfee Antivirus Plus 2011 (3-user) tied to the same registration code.  Notice that I said ‘were running.’

During my trouble shooting I found that with McAfee Antivirus Plus 2011 ‘UNINSTALLED’ on the Dell G4 (Win XP desktop), the Dell 1330 laptop exhibited the following behavior:

1. Clean boot-up with McAfee showing normal protection

2. Clicking on the McAfee shield resulted in opening the McAfee control panel and it immediately switching to Computer at Risk - Real-time scanning is switched off. Pressing run is of not help.

3. Tabbing through and clicking ‘Update’ produced the same visual indications as in the past.  HOWEVER, this time around it seems to have worked.

4. Tabbing through to Real Time Scanning and clicking ‘Run’ was successful.

5. Tabbing through and running a full manual scan (clean results) took about 30 minutes.

6. Real Time Scanning has continued to survive several reboots and switches between users.

I have NOT reinstalled McAfee on the other networked PC, so cannot vouch for this being the source of the issue.  Likewise I have not tried reversing the configuration (i.e., uninstalling on the laptop) to see if this resolves the issue on the Dell XPS G4 (i.e., the XP-Pro machine).  I just don’t have the time right now to do any more troubleshooting, but I have a hunch there may be a problem with the McAfee Home Network module.  Guess that one could always ‘disable’ the network to one or more of any networked PCs to see what the impact is.  Be my guest.

Message was edited by: edinopks
Added paragraph spacing & changed font. on 6/13/11 11:09:24 AM CDT
cjlaw
Former Member
Message 87 of 150

I'm having the same issue with the Real-Time Scanning turning off. I've been trying to follow the suggestions on this thread, all with no results. (Now would be a good time to note I'm far from computer-programming savvy.)

I've run the Virtual Technician, and it finds two problems (i.e., "Post System Restore Issues" and "DAT out of date"), but any attempt to fix fails to correct the issue.

Any suggestions?

newjack
Former Member
Message 88 of 150

You may have to reinstall.But wait a minute and see if anybody has bettor idea.IN post .84 it seemed to fix his problem.If there are no other suggestions you may want to try that.Uninstall from control panal (programs and features) reboot.Enable your firewall just in case.Then run the MCPR tool.When that is done reboot again.Then reinstall Mcafee.Forgot MCPR is here http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Message was edited by: newjack on 6/15/11 6:20:03 PM EDT

Message was edited by: newjack on 6/15/11 6:21:12 PM EDT
treehood
Former Member
Message 89 of 150

I also had the same problem. Running  Window 7, 64 bit and did a restore  to two days earlier. Mcafee reported updates as current but then began reporting a problem with real time scanning. I would turn on real time scanning and then it would auto turn off within seconds and I would get the warning again.

SOLUTION: follow earlier advice given and force a Mcafee update and the whole problem goes away. This is not new advice. It was given on the first page of posts but if you have recently done a restore and now are having a problem with a realtime scanning warning, this solved the problem for me. Thanks for the earlier advice

treehood
Former Member
Message 90 of 150

Thanks for your advice. I have a similar system and the same problem due to a restore. I did just what you suggested and everything is now OK. Real time scanning is working properly with no warning.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community