cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drock87
Former Member
Message 91 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

Hey guys i didn't read all the posts obviously so I don't know if someone else has mentioned this but here you go. This is a simply fix, simply update mcafee and let it download the updates, it fixes itself. If you use windows 7 your mcafee icon is probably down in the right hand corner of your task bar, simply go to it and right click on it, then click check for updates.

Peacekeeper
Message 92 of 150

Mentioned on 1st page and three posts above. This I hear is because when Mcafee updates to new version all of the old version does not upgrade so you have mixed versions. An update usally rights this and a patch is coming in a week or so.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/09/11 9:42:23 AM
burtonrood
Former Member
Message 93 of 150

I too have windows XP HE service pk 3 and this happened to me. During the scan McAfee proudly announced they removed one Trojan from my computer. In doing so my document files were gone. That Trojan replicated it's self seventeen times dragging three virouses with it.To recover my files I ran system restore in safe mode. You can access it through help and support, then follow the instructions on the screen. Then the real time scan began to turn off. Reinstalled McAfee suit and contacted Microsoft to install Microsoft Easy Assist. It seems that McAfee didn't even know about the three virouses the Trojan brought with it. Microsoft Easy Assist will run the program using McAfee security scan which takes about two hours. After the scan has cleaned up everything you have the option to delete the program or save it to a location in the event you need it again. I suggest saving it to a location on your hard drive. Everything is working fine now and you might consider running System Restore in safe mode if you have some missing files.  Good Luck and hope this works for you too.

rdeakins
Former Member
Message 94 of 150

Looks like this problem just isn't going away.  I have a Dell desktop running Windows 7 - 64bit.  McAfee SecurityCenter came preinstalled and I bought the 3 year subscription.  Two days ago, I woke the computer to find a box open that advised me that McAfee had updated and that I needed to restart for the updates to take effect.  This is normal and happens periodically.  I did so, and when the computer came up, I got alerts saying that automatic scanning, virus protection and the firewall were off, and my attempts to turn them back on were useless.  Also, when I tried to do an immediate, manual scan, it failed to run.  I went to McAfee.com and downloaded and installed Virtual Technician, but it would not initialize.  I then did a live chat with Jileesh, who used go.to.assist.com to access my computer.  After all other fixes failed, Jileesh put several icons on my desktop, unistalled McAfee and advised me to use the McAfee Setup icon he placed on my desktop once the computer rebooted.  He shut the computer down.  Upon restart, I noticed that my desktop gadgets were gone, but I clicked on the McAfee Setup icon as instructed, but nothing happened, nothing at all.  I started Internet Explorer but couldn't load my homepage.  I was able to navigate to McAfee.com, but not from the McAfee homepage.  Without any other ideas, I did a system restore.  That brought my computer back, gadgets and all, but I still had the three McAfee alerts I began with.

I started another live chat, this time with Anumod.  This time, I would not allow Anumod to use go.to.assist.com to take control of my computer.  Instead, I was given instructions to uninstall McAfee and do a restart, then log onto my McAfee account, download and install the product.  I did as instructed, and again lost my gadgets and Internet Explorer functionality and still had the same McAfee problems.  I was able to do another system restore and everything seems fixed, except for McAfee of course.

I've been at this for two days and gotten nowhere.  I can't believe that this problem still exists as I'm writing 15 months after the original post.  At this point, I have lost all confidence in both the McAfee product and their support.  I'm going to remove McAfee from my computer and, following the advice of an earlier post, load Microsoft Security Essentials.  Once that's done, I plan to contact McAfee, if I can, and ask for a refund of the balance of my subscription.  I'll also try to do some research on other Internet Security products, looking for one whose users are satisfied and confident.

Peacekeeper
Message 95 of 150

When it pops up the 3 warning did you try to do a manual update?

rdeakins
Former Member
Message 96 of 150

The McAfee SecurityCenter home page tells me that updates are available.  It is highlighted in red.  I click on the check for updates button and a window opens that says downloading updates - 0% completed.  It runs for a second or two and kicks me back to the home page.  By the way, the McAfee icon has also disappeared from my system tray.  Another question;  Why does my product call itself McAfee SecurityCenter?  I can't find a McAfee product for sale by that name. 

rdeakins
Former Member
Message 97 of 150

Can someone point to the MCPR Clean Up Tool that was referenced earlier in this thread as being available from the McAfee website?  I can't find it.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 98 of 150

The instructions document for MCPR is HERE.

It says :

Download the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.

1980ajw
Contributor
Message 99 of 150

To confirm the points above (drock87 and Peacekeeper):

My McAfee Total Protection experienced a generic Windows error during an automatic update: "mcshield.exe stopped working", or something similar. At the end of the update I was instructed to restart the PC - after restarting, the real-time scanning would keep turning itself off.

To fix: I right-clicked the McAfee icon in my system-tray and selected 'Check for updates'. The update downloaded and installed without any problems. After restarting the PC, I had to re-enable real-time scanning; this time it stayed turned-on.

I am currently 25% through a full scan

user_69094
Former Member
Message 100 of 150

Hello All.  I came to this website looking for help to my McAfee problem and thought I would share what worked for me, and it isn’t previously mentioned in this thread.   I’ll try to be brief:

My system – Desktop Dell Inspiron 570, 1-year old, came with a 15 month subscription to McAfee Security Center.  Windows 7, 64-bit, Home Premium.  I use Internet Explorer 8.

My symptoms – Computer worked fine through 9/5/11 then turned off for the week.  When I turned on 9/10/11 I had warnings in lower right tray (Windows Action Center) telling me I was unprotected that my McAfee Anti Virus and Anti Spyware items were turned off.  Trying to turn on there produced no response.  Right clicking on lower right McAfee shield produced no response.  Start/Programs/McAfee/Open Security Center  produced no response (other than empty white rectangle).  I could still access the internet and could visit McAfee website, but no links on McAfee website would work.  I could not log in to my account.

I too spent 1 hour on the phone with a couple Indian help reps who also took control of my computer, clicked around and declared that nothing is wrong with McAfee (of course) but my Internet Explorer – then version 8 was corrupt.  Admittedly when I clicked on About IE8, the Version, Cipher Strength, and Product ID were all blank, the help desk told me that was a clue it was corrupt, that I would have to take it up with Microsoft directly, they can’t help me any further.  Thanks.

I updated to IE9.  At this point the only improvement was I could log into McAfee website and see my subscription was still valid.  I still could not launch Security Center, could not turn on through Windows Action Center warning message.

I tried reverting to a previous restore point (farthest back available was 1 month for some reason).  I could now launch Security Center.  It tells me in red banner “your computer is at risk” and my Real Time Scanning is Off.  Clicking “Turn On” works for 1 second, then immediately turns off again.  I try repeatedly with the same 1 second working, then turning off on its own.

During the following week I had read this thread preparing to try many of the suggestions.  I started my computer yesterday, 9/16.  The first thing I tried was open Security Center and Check For Updates.  It sat there at 0% forever, not doing anything.  However, when I started the computer, I also noticed my network icon was indicating a warning and it told me I was connected to an unknown network.

Here is the punchline.  We have a Comcast modem, the cable goes through a Belkin router then to my desktop.  Periodically we have an internet connectivity problem and the solution has always been to take the router out of the loop, then reset and reconnect it later.  When I plugged the cable directly from the Comcast modem to my computer, I again tried Security Center Check For Update.  FINALLY, but slowly, it was making progress – about 1% every 5-10 seconds.  100% update, then 100% download, then 100% install.  I could now turn McAfee on, and it stays on!  I performed a full harddrive scan (several hours), no issues found.

So with the so many people having routers, this might be a solution for many of you.  I was just happy it didn’t take weeks to find a fix and since I’ve had good luck getting helpful suggestions for other problems in the past, I am happy to write about my fix.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community