cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conuir
Former Member
Message 111 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

This problem has been around since at least feb 2010... it is now oct 2011. 20 months.. why has this damn problem not been fixed/patched/whatever the hell needs to be done?

I bought this laptop only a week ago.. payed more than enough for it as well as this pathetic software only to find out it doesnt work. I'm tempted to not even bother resolving the issue and moving to another program.

its an absolute disgrace this problem is still around. get it bloody sorted!

Message was edited by: conuir on 10/10/11 07:20:28 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 112 of 150

It's a recurring issue because there are dozens of different reasons why it might be happening and each case has its own unique ones.   So there is no single fix.   Dinz was in the thread earlier and I am sure he will be back when he's on duty but in the meanwhile Technical Support is available free of charge by online chat or telephone - see Useful Links at the top of this page.

jaykrow
Former Member
Message 113 of 150

I was hit by it too after doing 'System Restore'  and Windows Defender kept switching off as well.  Updated definitions for both and had no more trouble

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 114 of 150

After using System Restore time-sensitive applications that rely on frequent updates to keep current will often act up.  The solution is to update them immediately.

dipys100
Former Member
Message 115 of 150

Hi, this could be because of ZeroAccess virus, Mcafee Total didn't find it.

It's possible other faults exist like scan not taking as long. I have posted here - https://community.mcafee.com/message/212474#212474

user_139465
Former Member
Message 116 of 150

I had the same issue as well. Managed to solve it by totally removing everything McAfee and then installing it as if it was new.

ventriloquist
Former Member
Message 117 of 150

Windows XP SP3

Same problem, but a manual 'Check for Updates' and a restart or two used to fix, until the other day.

oas-disabled-fix.cmd did not cure problem.

As a user in the administrator group downloaded the software.  Install apparently successful.  Still no good.  Virtual Technician (MVT) returned 28 missing files and 2 missing services, which it could not fix.

As administrator, repeated the process.  MVT now happy.  Checked for updates and all now seems OK.

Seems some permissions issues going on here.  I don't want to use the administrator account as a matter of course, so there seems to be a problem which the install did not highlight.

Don't know what you do with Vista or W7 as you can't log in to actual administrator account.

Peacekeeper
Message 118 of 150

When you reinstalled did you follow this method?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

This prior to a reinstall from your account.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/11/11 7:21:47 PM
ventriloquist
Former Member
Message 119 of 150

Thank you Peacekeeper for the information.

I did not follow the path you suggest.

However, using the administrator account solved poblems created during the install by a user in the administrator group.  Your reply did not touch on the permissions issue.

Reinstallation does not address the core point that a number of users seem to be having problems.

For the average home user, solving this problem is getting rather too difficult.  It is unfortunate that the download and install gives a false sense of security, saying, as it does, that the exisiting software is being removed, when clearly the additional steps show that the installer is not doing the job properly at all.

Like much software, the poor thing here is that if the installer needs additional steps, why can't it stop and give the user clear and simple instructions what they need to do first?  If there is the possibility of XP permissions issues, why aren't we told to download and install as administrator?

astor
Contributor II
Message 120 of 150

ventriloquist wrote:

For the average home user, solving this problem is getting rather too difficult.  It is unfortunate that the download and install gives a false sense of security, saying, as it does, that the exisiting software is being removed, when clearly the additional steps show that the installer is not doing the job properly at all.

I agree 100%.  Since McAfee appears to be so susceptible to problems of all kinds requiring a special procedure to uninstall then re-install, it should be a one step process within McAfee itself.  It's time the special uninstall procedure be built into McAfee so any user of limited computer experience can carry out a clean install of the product.  It should also verify the uninstall worked 100%, and if not warn the user to contact support.  This is not rocket science.

Message was edited by: astor on 13/11/11 12:57:42 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community