Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dukeofearl
Former Member
Message 11 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

Virushater,

Question, if you uninstalled IE, how were you able to download SuperAntiSpyware? Did you download it prior to uninstalling IE or did you reinstall IE after you uninstalled it.  Thanks for responding.

dukeofearl
Former Member
Message 12 of 150

Oh, I think I know - you must of had another browser like Mozilla.  Has this solution worked for anyone???

AnthonyG
Former Member
Message 13 of 150

I know this is an old topic, but I had a very similar problem. With me though, it didn't start happening until I restored my PC to what it was like 2 days ago using System Restore. When my comptuer started up after the restore I got the same notifications about Real time scanning and how it woudl be off. Turning it on would just cause it to turn back off about 5 seconds later. So I undid the Restore and when my computer booted up the problem went away and now Real Time Scanning stays on (I haven't tried turning off and back on due to paranoia though).

So yeah, it appears it isn't an issue with me anymore, but does anyone know how the System Restore could have affected it?

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium btw

Thanks.

Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 14 of 150

Hello everyone,

I just went through the same troubles, meaning that I had the same notifications about the McAfee Real Time Scanner that was off. Turning it on would not resolve the issue because it will turn back off in about few seconds, just like AnthonyG. In addition this problem started just after I applied a system restore. I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits version and have McAfee AntiVirus Plus. I beleive I have a reasonable explanation for this issue :

Before I made the restore, my McAfee product was uptodate. After the restore the McAfee Real Time Scanner is always off. I didn't undo the restore, however I made McAfee update itself and it did ! Meaning that the system restore changed some settings related to the viruses signatures of the McAfee Real Time Scanner and as soon as McAfee was uptodate the problem went away and the McAfee Real Time Scanner was back on. The problem is that the Windows System Restore make settings related changes ( and not files related ) and it seems like this affects some of McAfee settings which makes some sort conflict that will resolve once you update your product. A piece of proof that back up my thinking is that : this is not the first time I make a system restore however this is the first time the McAfee Real Time Scanner goes off after a restore !!

The point is : I beleive that if the time between the current time and the restore point time that you want to restore includes some McAfee updates, your McAfee product will most probably go off due to some conflict in the settings that are going to be restored ( that are few days old ) and the current files ( that are uptodate ) and the solution is to make your McAfee product check for updates. And if the time between the current time and the restore point time that you want to restore does not include any McAfee updates, hence this will not affect at all your McAfee product since the McAfee settings you are restoring are the same comparing to the McAfee settings you had before the restore ( since no McAfee updates were applied between the restore point and the current time ) .

AnthonyG: Don't worry, I advice you to go ahead and restore your PC to the restore point you wish to apply. After the restore is done, just make your McAfee product check for updates and I am sure that this will resolve the McAfee Real Time Scanner problem .

Hope this will help ,

Best Regards ,

Leeeeeeelo .

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 8/1/10 8:01:19 PM GMT+02:00

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 8/1/10 8:10:17 PM GMT+02:00
AnthonyG
Former Member
Message 15 of 150

Ah, thanks man.

But you say System Restore is not file related....if you get a virus on your computer, and restore the computer to a date that was before you got the virus, will the virus still be on the PC (I don't have a virus or anything, i'm just wondering).

Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 16 of 150

Hello AnthonyG,

Well, there no specific answer to your question, it all depends on the current virus and environment of your PC. When I said that System restore is not file related, I meant by it that System restore does not interfere with any of your personal files like documents ( word, excel, power point, pdf ... ), pictures, songs ...

You can think of it like a time travel machine : System restore don't come near your "My Documents" folder however it restores old registry entries, old system files, old software files ( or deletes some new of those ) depending on what has been added / deleted after the restore point . However for the case of a virus, my personal advice is to keep the system restore as a last resort ! A virus can infect restore points so let's say your system gets infected and you manage to deinfect it . Then, you try to restore your PC to an early stage and imagine that the virus infected your restore points : what you get is new infections . It's true that sometimes System restore can be helpful in some infection cases but sometimes it won't be, it depends . What system restore exaclty does is : it rolls back all system changes to a point in time ( like software, registry, windows ... but never personal files ) so some viruses can escape the system restore effect depending on their types : some infect programs , other can target specific files .

As a quick conclusion I can say : no the virus won't be removed if you perform a system restore .

Hope I answered your question ,

Have a nice day ,

Leeeeeeelo .

AnthonyG
Former Member
Message 17 of 150

Oh ok. Yeah that makes sense. I always assumed that if you do a system restore to, let's say 2 weeks ago, you'll lose any documents, pictures, music, videos, etc. saved in that time frame (which is never a huge deal for me since I back up all that type of stuff on an external hard drive).

jereuter
Former Member
Message 18 of 150

Denish!

Thank you so much for this solution.  I have XP SP 3 and suddenly started receiving "real time scanner turned off" too.  I tried restoring to several different dates to no avail.  I deleted my Mcafee software then reloaded it but the problem remained.  I was getting desparate when I Googled a description of the problem and found your solution.  Lo and behold, it worked.  Apparently, it has not worked for some others on this thread, but rest assured that it worked for me, and I appreciate a technical professional like you taking the time to hassle with, identify and provide a fixin gthis problem and others that can be as this one was, exasperating.  I could have spent good money taking my PC to a local tech, or worse, deleting my McAfee protection in favor of another.  This scanning routine of off and on was draining memory and CPU time.  The distraction was driving me crazy.  I was worried that I was not fully protected if I just ignored it.

Best regards,

John E. Reuter

Attorney at Law

Cumming, GA 30041

Message was edited by: jereuter on 8/7/10 3:22:52 PM CDT
Alex9719
Former Member
Message 19 of 150

Hello all,

I just encountered similar behaviour.....

Running the online McAfee scanner, no hits.

Running Windows Defender, no hits.

In the end... very simple.... run an update of the McAfee package and it automatically went into an active state.... Nice.

Somehow you would expect a different type of error message

Ah well, it's solved now...

(My meaning here.... run an update before trying all other stuff)

Good luck!

jayslack
Former Member
Message 20 of 150

Unfortunately I've been hit by this Real Time Scanning turning off thing. I've noticed that whenever I boot up windows xp, after the login page it takes a good 10-20 minutes for the system to work without the hourglass cursor. Usually it only takes 1-2 minutes max.

No matter what, the Real Time Scanning turns off in a few seconds after switching it on. Whenever I attempt to scan or update the percentage always stays at 0%.

I've done two full system Malwarebytes scans in safe mode. The first time it caught a few things and I thought it was good but no so I scanned again. The second time around, the log showed nothing.

I have also done two stinger scans and nothing showed up.

Following this I downloaded Spybot - Search and Destroy. I did the same as before, scan once and the log shows up with some problems. Thought it was good but nope, did a second scan and the log shows up clean.

I've also turned everything McAfee related in the services.msc to Started and Automatic.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community