cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnboy1214
Former Member
Message 1 of 150

Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

I unstalled my mcafee total protection and reinstalled.  I ran virtual tech because the real time scanner would not stay on.  It says that 3 services are not running and that I am missing a file for the personal firewall.  Everything installed normally.  I am at a loss on why on a fresh install I am missing files and services were not started and I cant even find those services in my services list.  If I cant get a repair solution I am going to get rid of mcafee when I upgrade my system and go to Norton 360.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/02/10 12:03:38 EST AM
149 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

Hi Johnboy1214,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused , Could you please provide the following information so that we could help you better.

What is the operating system in the computer ?

Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?

How old is the computer ?

Was the computer infected by any malware in the past ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

johnboy1214
Former Member
Message 3 of 150

I have windows xp service pack 3

I have no other security software

The computer is about 2 years old

I have never had any malware.

I have only started having problems in the last month or so and nothing new has been installed except for standard Mcafee updates and windows updates.

I am attaching a zip file containing the virtual tech log.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 150

Hi,

Please follow the below steps ;

Check and delete if you find any other antivirus software installed in add/remove programs and C:/program files and common files.
Click start – run then type services.msc, In the window that opens up check whether the start up type for all the McAfee programs are in started and Automatic. If not click on the particular service and change it to "Automatic" .
Click on the recovery tab (at the top) and select all three failures to be Restart the service
Click on OK

Close all open programs and restart the computer . and then try to update McAfee

Do report back if you find any issues on the same.

Regards,

Dinesh K

mail2eshakris
Contributor
Message 5 of 150

Hey try this...it works.

1. Download and save the utility from the link below to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-fix.cmd

2. Double-click the oas-disabled-fix.cmd tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run as Administrator.

If you receive the error StopService: Unable to open service McShield via SCM (5), press  CTRL+C to terminate the process.  You will be prompted to terminate the batch job. Type Y and press ENTER. Run the oas-disabled-fix utility again.

3. Restart your computer and ensure that McAfee Security Center shows that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.

all the best

easha

casm
Former Member
Message 6 of 150

Hi

I stil have the problem that mcafee disabling the real-time scanner.

What is the operating system in the computer ?                                   Windows 7

Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?     No

How old is the computer ?                                                                 2 month (acer aspire revo R3610)

Was the computer infected by any malware in the past ?                    No

I have checked the services.msc and I tried to install the oas-disabled-fix.cmd tool.

But it still keeps turning of. Can you help me further please ?

Regards Carsten

RedAnt
Former Member
Message 7 of 150

I'm having the same issue today. I'm running XP SP3. I had run a full scan (no issues found) then rebooted and started getting this message. I have the latest version of Internet Security.

I tried the suggestions earlier in this thread, but neither made any difference. When I now go back into services.msc it tells me the McAfee scanner is not started, even though it is set to Automatic.

Can anyone advise what else to try ?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 150

Hi ,

If you have followed the above suggested steps and if the issue still persists , I would recommend contacting Mcafee chat from here so that they diagnose the issue and help you to resolve it.

Regards,

Dinesh K

virushater
Former Member
Message 9 of 150

I am thinking that I want a refund on Mcafee and to go somewhere else.  None of this solved my problem either.  Real Time keeps turning itself off, I cannot run a manual scan and my computer is slow.  I paid good money for their top service and now I am unprotected.  I need answers to this!  I installed the tool and ran it and I just got a black cmd screen with a blinking cursor.  I am not sure what it is supposed to do.  I also uninstalled my spyware and malware software and no help either.  In fact at least the spyware ran a scan. Any suggestions on what do to from here?

virushater
Former Member
Message 10 of 150

Looks like I resolved this finally on my own.  What I did was turn off Mcaffee - or should I say - I let Mcafee stay off since it turned itself off. I completely uninstalled internet explorer.  Then I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware again - ran it and it found 53 issues which it removed.  I then was able to finally run my Macafee manual scan which then found 1 issue and removed it.  Now all is well.  Looks like Mcafee didnt detect these viruses and you need a malware or spyware software to get rid of whatever is causing this.

Figured I would offer this up to see if it works for anyone - beats paying a hefty fee to Mcafee to remove the virus

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community