Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Real Time Scanning

I am confused.

McAfee attributed to me a "correct" answer for Real Time problems weeks ago, but continues to push complex 'answers' which have never worked for me, nor anyone else.

I submitted an "easy fix" - see Real-Time Scanner ... easy fix ... though it is difficult to access.

Because McAfee seems to have buried my "correct answer", I will run it through again, in very easy terms - but with possible difficulties in mind now.

OK you start your computer up and do whatever you do.

Then whatever you have done, McAfee informs you that you are not fully protected ... that Real Time protection is turned off. And no matter what you do, e.g.. follow McAfee 'advice', or try to sort it out yourself, the problem keeps coming back.

Well I DID find my own easy fix a few weeks ago and have had NO problems ever since I applied it to my own system. NO problems.

So here is "easy fix" again - with some qualifications.

If you have Windows 7, then you should have Windows Defender and a red flag will display, bottom right hand corner. Click on it and enable Windows Defender ... that is it, problem solved.

If in Windows 7, Vista, XP you do not have Windows Defender, then download and activate it.

I am unable to test this action, because I am fully up to date, including what what I did to my own system,  All I know is what I did works, period. Never had a problem since.

10 Replies
gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Re: Real Time Scanning

See my latest submission on Real Time Scanning, in which I have modified my original "easy fix", which I have realized may only apply with Windows 7.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

It isn't McAfee that's attributing a 'correct answer' it's done either by the board itself or by us Mods who answer if we assume the original question is answered.

It's done to get it off our unanswered posts list that's all.

Your original thread isn't buried - it's right HERE.  I dug it up from your profile, simply click your name and it's listed at the bottom.  The board has had many posts since then hence it moving down the list.

However, I think that fix working is a coincidence as McAfee advise that Windows Defender's real-time protection be turned off to prevent it interfering with McAfee.  Personally I haven't seen that happen, but that's what they say.

If a fix button in the McAfee software isn't working then I would contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page if you are satisfied that there is no malware present.

If the warning is regarding Windows Defender's real-time scanning being turned off then it has nothing to do with McAfee really as that is simply a Windows warning.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/09/10 8:48:24 EDT AM
gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

All I know is that my 'fix' has been stable for a few weeks now. All I know is that activating Windows Defender fixed McAfee notifations of  'not being protected'.

All I know is what worked for me.

All I do is publish that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Oh I believe you.  Thanks for publishing your findings.

😉

gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Just as an aside: I'm an ex-brit in Australia.

Thanks for the info about how this forum works, one aspect of which I'd already done, i.e. I'd clicked on my profile.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

We get everywhere..!

gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Yeah just like the Spanish Inquisition, only a whole lot more subtle, indeed sometimes speechless, but still nailed to our soap boxes and just resting.

Couldn't resist that. No reply expected.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

😉

gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Monty Python rules. OK we lost the Empire, but not our sense of humour.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community