cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lee_1011
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Real Time Scanning won't stay on!

My real time scanning will not stay on. When I try switch it on, it attempts to turn on, then turns off shortly after - saying that my computer is at risk.

I spent over 4 hours with technical support where I was assisted virtually (they took control of my machine) and we had no luck.

I had at least 3 hours of tier 2 technical support and my problem remains unsolved.

Just something to note: the occurence of this issue coincided with a significant change in McAfee's user interface.

The first user interface (the one where real time scanning was functional) looked like this: http://www.comparedandreviewed.com/images/software/internet-security-software/screenshots/mcafee-int...

The second UI (where real time scanning will not switch on) looks like this: http://zapt5.staticworld.net/images/article/2013/01/mcafee_internet_security_2013_main-100023070-lar...

It is also worth noting that I am repeatedly instructed to download new updates for McAfee, then restart my computer. I do this and it just asks me to do it again after restarting (asks me to download & install updates then restart)

I have tried everything on the FAQ list: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100903

The tier 2 technical support tried various additional things, including messing about with my registry keys but to no avail.

I believe this is a problem that many people would be having as it seems to have been caused at the same time my user interface changed.

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Real Time Scanning won't stay on!

The trouble with multiple posts is that you may end up with multiple answers or none at all so best not to do that.

If these troubles seem to coincide with an upgrade the chances are the upgrade wenr badly for whatever reason.

First thing to do is make sure your system clock is accurate both time and timezone-wise and that your system is totally up to date, including IE, even if you don't use it, McAfee does.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall all McAfee.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Run the McPreinstall Tool.

Reinstall from your online account NOT from any CD.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/13 7:05:20 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community