cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 21 of 32

Re: Real TIme Scanner Turns Off...AGAIN!!!

Jump to solution

Hi mrmox,

Please contact McAfee  Tech Support  which is linked under Useful Links at the top of this page. Please escalate the case to Tier 2 if the issue is not resolved in Tier 1 level.

Regards

mwegg
Former Member
Message 22 of 32

Jump to solution

I am also having the same problem with my Real Time Scanner turning off. I called McAfee support and they remoted into my computer trying to fix the problem without success. Once McAfee was uninstalled I was informed that there was a problem with my Browser and for $69.95 they could fix it. After reading the many complaints regarding this issue I am starting to doubt very much that it was a problem with my browser and not something that I should pay $69.95 for.

I am having problems re-installing the McAfee now so at the moment I have no anti virus on my machine.

I am not very happy with this product and service at the moment.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 32

Jump to solution

McAfee support don't charge for service unless you ask for their premium service.  What number did you call or what name did the company say they had?

Hopefully Selvan will add to what I've said.  But until then I suggest you contact Technical Support, the correct one, via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Unless they realised you had malware on your machine in which case they woiuld recommend the paid virus removal service, as would any antivirus company..  If it is the latter problem try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, all linked in the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/11/13 8:02:19 EST PM
dcmatt
Former Member
Message 24 of 32

Jump to solution

I did a reinstall on the weekend and I'm good to go now.  Thanks for your support.

DCMatt

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 32

Jump to solution

dcmatt wrote:

I did a reinstall on the weekend and I'm good to go now.  Thanks for your support.

DCMatt

Glad you are OK.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 26 of 32

Jump to solution

Hi mwegg,

That's Odd. Tech Support does not charge for Troubleshooting unless and until you asked for Virus Removal Service or the Tech Master Service. 

theorem
Contributor
Message 27 of 32

Jump to solution

I am yet one more person that experienced the Real-Time Scanner turning off immediately after an attempt to turn it on in LiveSafe and this on brand new Windows 10 pc!

At just after a system startup it indicates that Real-Time Scanning is starting up and following that it remains off, and a security notification is eventually issued. At that point any attempt to turn it on fails, to be precise it briefly turns on, then turns off immediately.

I managed to circumvent this problem by manually initiating a check for updates. The check will either download and install new updates or indicates that the updates are current, either way on conclusion the Real-Time Scanning is ON!

So it seems to me that the “update check” and the Real-Time Scanning processes are in some way entangled. If at system startup LiveSafe initiates an update check, which I don't know that it does and places a lock on some resource which Real-Time Scanning needs, but fails to release the lock, then Scanning remains off, and when a manual update check succeeds and releases any locks, the Scanning startup then succeeds and turns on, or maybe the manual update reinitializes Real-Time Scanning which then succeeds and remains on, who knows, not me, regardless… Whatever the situation is, it seems to me that two processes are inter-dependent and failure in one is due to clumsy coding, that surly Intel should do and can do something about….

Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 32

Jump to solution

We mods were told there was a bug in the update patch released mid November. Not many saw it but it was a RTS issue. This caused teh patch release to be halted to partners ie ISPs and Acer supplied McAfee versions.

What is the version of Mcafee and affid number you have in the about tab bottom right of the McAfee interface?

If 14.0.5120 or higher could be the cause but I suggeste two things

1 run MVT the virtual technician MVT

2. Call support for your country and see if they can assist

Support

theorem
Contributor
Message 29 of 32

Jump to solution

Imagine my surprise!!! Yes that is my Dell installed  version of LiveSafe and thank you for your official suggestion, but the last thing I intend doing is uninstalling... And then re-installing... And I doubt that the MVT or support assistance would result in any other solution...

Once again regardless of any immediate resolution via any action I might take, I can easily circumvent the problem! The issue is, that it is most likely due to faulty coding e.g the "bug in the update patch released mid November", and this should be public knowledge to allay people's anxieties and Intel should expedite this by issuing a corrective application update for what to me was obviously some kind of error in the coding... And to this end I sincerely hope Intel is responsive in a timely manner. Last Intel is happy to initiate notifications regarding further use of its product in the form of fly-outs on my system, why not a status alert on those versions that might have an issue, with a link to an info page??? This would be a very useful feature, which in addition would demonstrate Intel's willingness for transparency, and integrity.

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 32

Jump to solution

The bug has been fixed and is in the new version that is finishing being distributed to Mcafee subscribers ie affid 0. Partners will get the fix soon I will ask on our mod call tomorrow but I would expect 1-2 weeks.

that said I do not for sure know that is teh cause that is why i suggested support.

Having info re issues is an idea here that you can support.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community