cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hbillsmith
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Read this SOLUTION for "QuickClean won't save settings and Update doesn't work either"

How did it start:  Security Center received the autoupdate that took it to version Security Center 10.5.178 (QuickClean 10.5.108)

Symptom:  QuickClean would not let me SAVE settings and therefore would not run.  Trying to do a manual UPDATE by choosing Check for Updates immediately shows 'Completed' but never proceeds to do the percentage countdown of downloading.

Five (5) Workarounds that were recommended, tried and failed.  Even the clean reinstall where I used the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit control panel and removed McAfee applications.  Then ran the McAfee removal tool.  Then re-installed the McAfee suite from the subscription My Account page.  Result was DAT file and ENGINE updates, Scan still works ok, but the problems sited above in 'Symptom' persisted with no relief of any kind.

Then I checked the FAQ and found an obscure reference to a problem with Nvidia beta driver and the suggestion that McAfee is not responsible.  I do have a later full production version of that Video driver and cannot update because the newer Nvidia does not support multimonitor on my rig.  BUT...this gave me an idea that lead to the work around that does work..

THE WORKAROUND SOLUTION...

1 - Reboot system pressing F8 until you get the screen for 'SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING'

2 - Start McAfee Antivirus Security Center and select QuickScan.  Make your setting changes and SAVE.  They will be retained when you reboot.

3 - Go ahead and also 'DISMISS' the message that Real Time Scanning is off.  Underneath that message you will see the button for UPDATES.  Click on Check for Updates and you'll see the normal, checking, download, updating.

4 - Shutdown and restart system.

5 - Your Quickclean and any other settings are now saved and Quickclean works as it is supposed to.

6 - Unfortunately, Check for Updates still doesn't work normally.  If you want to update, you'll need to reboot in SAFE MODE NETWORKING then do step #3.

This solution worked for me on all 3 of my Windows 7 Ultimate machines that were each have the indentical problem.  In hindsight, I think this is related to an Nvidia driver issue.  However, I believe the option to make settings or run updates in F8 Safe Mode will work for most any problem that has not been acknowledged by McAfee.

Today (Jun30 2010) I heard back from McAfee support and they suggested a simple fix that appears to have fixed my problem.  Now not only does Quickclean settings update correctly, the Auto Update and Manual Update feature now works and I can keep current on daily DATs again.

THE FIX

- Start; Run; MSCONFIG

- Select the SERVICES tab

- Find the line for the NVIDIA driver

- deselect or disable this driver

- close MSCONFIG and reboot

- Check out McAfee, everything should be working fine.

By the way, this will not impact the graphics or video operations (Nvidia controls are all working and just fine).  I believe this Nvidia driver is meant to use compute functions that Nvidia is promoting for it's GPU as a compute platform.  The number of mainstream applications that use that feature today is miniscule at best.  I don't even think the game developers are using it.  In fact, the only application I know of is the @home scientific global shared processing community app.

Message was edited by: hbillsmith on 6/30/10 12:33:59 PM CDT

Message was edited by: hbillsmith on 6/30/10 6:53:57 PM CDT
1 Reply
hbillsmith
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: Read this SOLUTION for "QuickClean won't save settings and Update doesn't work either"

If you tried this before, recheck the message above.  I previously refered to the STARTUP tab in MSCONFIG.  I should have  said SERVICES tab.  I corrected the message today.

See message

Message was edited by: hbillsmith on 6/30/10 7:11:53 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community