Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoubleUTeeEff
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Rampant Internet Connection Unavailable

Good Afternoon,

I have a custom PC with abundant RAM running Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium, connected to the internet via AT&T DSL. I've have McAfee Secuirty Center for several months now, and just recently it has been unable to update its definitions.

So...

I've followed every "solution" for this problem present on these forums. No dice. I disabled every form of anything blocking anything. I messed with the folders. I toyed with the registry. I renamed the DAT files.

Eventually I followed some forum advice and uninstalled everything and ran the MCPR tool. Now, I can't re-install because when I try to run the downloader it reads:

"Internet Connection Unavailable"

"We can't dowload your McAfee software because we're having trouble accessing the Internet. Please make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try again."

Now, this problem, from reading the forums, seems to be pretty rampant and I'm surprised McAfee hasn't addressed this directly. I have never had Norton on this machine, nor an older version of McAfee. I have uninstalled every other security program and disabled Windows Firewall to see if they were blocking. Alas, to no avail.

The funny thing is, I never had this problem when Comcast provided my internet, so I was thinking AT&T may be the point of failure, but they said it wasn't them and referred me back to McAfee...

Someone with real networking expertise... please help.

-Steve
Tags (1)
2 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

RE: Rampant Internet Connection Unavailable

Hi Steve,

Check if you are able to ping the McAfee website (Start-run-CMD-type-ping download.mcafee.com) and post the IP address you get
Try to install the McAfee in the safe mode with networking
Did you experience any spyware alert or advertisement in the computer?
DoubleUTeeEff
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

RE: Rampant Internet Connection Unavailable

The IP address I get is 128.241.218.66, which belongs to Akamai of course.

It will not install in safe mode w/ networking.

I've run four separate malware/spyware removal tools and haven't detected anything.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community