cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chets
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

RE:RE:Annoying McAfee Desktop Shortcut doesn't get deleted permanently - Post 432 & 433

Per these two posts the above mentioned issue, the fix " is rolling out as we speak" and "Confirmed fix works ". Sorry guys, but it isn't fixed. Its now January 15 and the icon keeps re-appearing no matter how many times you delete. It will re-appear when you boot or when you update. Kindly fix the problem!!!

24 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: RE:RE:Annoying McAfee Desktop Shortcut doesn't get deleted permanently - Post 432 & 433

Australia and Korea have it already.

If you're not in one of those countries, then US and UK are scheduled to get it tomorrow (Tuesday), 17th Jan.

Everyone else gets it on Thursday 19th.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 25

Re: RE:RE:Annoying McAfee Desktop Shortcut doesn't get deleted permanently - Post 432 & 433

In about if you have language En-Au you will get the update (build 11.0.654) over several days as only 25% of users get it each time. this is the throttling method. That said 2 mods confirmed fix worked but two posters said it did not this was as a registry key was missing. There is a workaround for this that fixes the icon issue when the aussie update fails and Mcafee is looking into why the registry key is missing.

This why the small region release fist to sort any bugs out.

DamusFucious
Former Member
Message 4 of 25

Is McAfee waiting until one minute before midnight to fix my icon issue? I am on Eastern Standard Time BTW.

baltbullet1
Former Member
Message 5 of 25

It's pretty bad when an unattended holiday program update goes wrong and you have to search online for a fix!

Looks like I'm stuck with the icon until they correct it with another program update.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 25

The update was released 17 Jan for the US and UK but it's throttled at 25% so will take several days to reach everyone - that's because to release it all at once would possibly cause a server breakdown (40 million customers or thereabouts).

The official blurb on it is on the home page here: https://community.mcafee.com/community/home or here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361

rks
Former Member
Message 7 of 25

FINALLY.   Really getting freaking SICK of that stupid icon.

Now I guess I just get to wait 'several days' more which I'll optimistically take to mean another week at least.

This customer is going to remember the way you forum mods have acted during this when my McAfee subscription renewal comes up. 

Message was edited by: rks on 1/19/12 9:17:15 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 25

Sorry what did we do only support you all through the holidays on our own time and keep you up with what Mcafee is doing. This assumes your comment was a complaint. The fix is rolling out  see the link Peter provided. The US fix should be with you by now try a manual update several times it should come.

mendonsy
Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Bin.jpg

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 25

Ok by that I ssume no fix yet did you get the 654 build? If so there is a way to fix the fix as some (2) report they got teh fix but it did not work.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community