cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mistakiula
Former Member
Message 1 of 21

Protection Status Keeps Turning Off

Yeah, my protection status keeps turning off. I tried the mcafee virtual technician, it showed i had 2 problems. Both dealing with mcshield.exe. Everytime i ran the technician it said that it fixed one of the problems, but if you run it again, it says that the problem is still there.

I don't know how to post the problem log from the technician, do i just copy and paste?
20 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 21

RE: Protection Status Keeps Turning Off

Hi,

Please clarify

Did you made any changes to the computer in the recent past?
Did you try to perform a system restore recently?
Are you experiencing any pop-ups or alert regarding the spyware?

You can Post the Session ID number that you receive after running the McAfee Virtual Technician(MVT). let us review the session ID
mistakiula
Former Member
Message 3 of 21

Sorry about that.

Yes, ok, so my Session ID is: 17241436. This is AFTER I told McAfee to scan my computer 'thoroughly'. The scan found 2 problems. 1 Quarantined and 1 removed. The one removed is called "Proxy-OSS", I don't know what that is but the off'ing of McAfee's protection service is still going on.

I don't know what is the exact cause of it, because I've been doing a lot of stuff on the past few days. However I may have a lead. Right after I downloaded a free MMORPG called "Perfect World" (you can search it on google) this happened almost instantly after I opened the install file. McAfee's 'Computer and Files' and 'E-Mail' services are turned off. So I don't know, that may be it.

I haven't tried system recovery, I don't have a recent recovery point that I want to go to, so I'm kind of out of luck there. I'll probably end up doing it anyway to save time if there is no fix.

Note: Everytime the protection turns off, it's awlays the 'Computer and Files' and 'E-Mail' services. Then I'd have to manually press the fix it problem to get the green status back.
kfeather
Former Member
Message 4 of 21

RE: Sorry about that.

I am having the same problem. I had the pre-installed McAfee Security Center that came with my Dell laptop and the free year expired. I purchased a renewal and it downloaded and installed on my computer. Now every few days to a week I get a stupid message that tells me that I am not fully protected and I have like 4 things turned off. I have to click "Fix" each time and it turns everything back on. This is really ANNOYING. I ran the online technical diagnostic tool and it told me I had zero errors/problems.

From searching the net, it seems that many other people are having this same issue. I have SecurityCenter 9.3 and run it on Vista.
mwalker3000
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

I am having a similar problem

A few days ago, I got a message from Microsoft to upgrade my Windows Live. I did so, which promptly messed up my MS Office 2003, so that every time I booted up, each office app (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) would open and crash.

To try to fix this, I upgraded Office to the 2007 version. This in turn caused McAfee's "mcshield.exe" to crash on boot-up. Also, Office 2007 was still launching and crashing.

In frustration, I uninstalled Windows Live, which caused multiple crashes, forcing me to ultimately reinstall it.

Now, when I boot up, only PowerPoint opens and crashes. However, McAfee SecurityCenter loads with all four apps disabled. I click fix, then two apps require attention. I click fix again, and I am fully protected. Then, a few minutes later, I get a notification that "I am not fully protected" again. I open SecurityCenter, and all four apps say "Your Subscription to McAfee app must be verified. Verify your subscription now." I click on FIX and I get a message saying "One or more problems require your response" and nothing changes. I click on the verify but it fails and I get a pop-up saying "Verification Failed. Your subscription cannot be verified. If this problem continues, reinstall the program." So, yesterday, I reinstalled the program, and today the same problem occurred again.

I ran the McAfee Virtual Technician, but it solved nothing.

I am running Windows XP with all patches and no issues prior to upgrading Windows Live.

I apologize for the long-winded message, but I thought I should be as thorough as possible.

Any suggestions on what I can do?
kfeather
Former Member
Message 6 of 21

RE: I am having a similar problem

Well... I uninstalled SecurityCenter and then I ran the McAfee program that cleans residual schmutz from your system. Once that was done, I installed SecurityCenter again. Being that my problem happens every few days, I won't know for awhile if it worked, but I figured to give it a shot.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 7 of 21

Hi,

This issue may happen if we have any hard disk crash (bad Block -disk) or if we have any issue with malware infection.

So please clarify

What is the Operating system you use?
How do you connect to the internet (DSL/Cable/ Wireless)?
How long you are experiencing this issue?

Step:
Try to run the free versions of tool: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php clean anything it detected.
kfeather
Former Member
Message 8 of 21

I have malwarebyte already and i'll rerun the scan, but it had no issues last time.

To answer your questions, I have Vista, Connect Wireless, and have been having the problem ever since I upgraded my subscription with McAfee SecurityCenter (couple months). I did wipe my system of McAfee and reinstall a couple days ago and have not had a problem since, but it's too soon to tell if this fixed it or not.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 9 of 21

Hi,

Alright, sounds good but monitor your McAfee Security center for other 7-8 days and let us know if we have any issue and also past your MVT Session ID
kfeather
Former Member
Message 10 of 21

OK... again today, it prompted me that I'm not fully protected and I had to "fix" my settings. I did an uninstall, I used the McAfee application that cleans it from my computer, and reinstalled. My MVT session ID is 17528015.

A side note... I decided to ignore the message to "fix" my settings and a few hours later everything was turned back on by its own.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community