Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sliding_billy
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Program Permissions Grayed out from Deletion

Jump to solution

Before updating one of my computers to Windows 7 (from Vista 64 Ultimate to Win 7 64 Ultimate), I had no program permissions listed for programs that "no longer exist."  After update there were a few listed that were able to be removed.  Two program permissions remain where the program no longer exists that when you click on them have all of the options (including removing the premission) grayed out.  The two permissions are WINLOGON.EXE and SERVICES.EXE (both in the wow64 directory).  I have been using SC for years and never seen permissions that couldn't be deleted.  I have also upgraded a few other machines to Win 7 and these permissions did not remain.

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Program Permissions Grayed out from Deletion

Jump to solution

Hi,

McAfee Support has encountered problems that were created by either upgrading the operating system (for example, upgrading from Windows vista to Windows 7 ) or by using the Microsoft System Restore. McAfee recommends removing McAfee security products before proceeding with an operating system upgrade or using Microsoft System Restore, then reinstalling your McAfee product afterwards.

If you have upgraded the operating system without first removing your McAfee Security products, run the removal tool and restart the computer and then reinstall your mcafee programs .

Steps to uninstall & reinstall using the mcafee consumer products removal tool can be found here

Thanks,

Dinesh K

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi,

McAfee Support has encountered problems that were created by either upgrading the operating system (for example, upgrading from Windows vista to Windows 7 ) or by using the Microsoft System Restore. McAfee recommends removing McAfee security products before proceeding with an operating system upgrade or using Microsoft System Restore, then reinstalling your McAfee product afterwards.

If you have upgraded the operating system without first removing your McAfee Security products, run the removal tool and restart the computer and then reinstall your mcafee programs .

Steps to uninstall & reinstall using the mcafee consumer products removal tool can be found here

Thanks,

Dinesh K

sliding_billy
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

I figured that would solve it, but I was still hoping to find out why an item would be grayed out.  I did remove and reinstall eliminating the problem since there was no other reason or solution provided.

Chris

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community