Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulKenny
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Problem with updates

Hi,

I've been having a problem with updating my viruscan. What seems to be happening is that it will download the updates, but when it moves to install them it comes up with the message 'McAfee VirusScan API Daily Update Module has encountered a problem and needs to close.'.

I ran the anti spyware programmes mentioned in this forum (as well as Mcafee's free online scan, which came back clean), then tried uninstalling and running the MCPR tool, then reinstalling. It was unable to run the preinstall scan during installation without crashing and the problem with updating continued.

I've been in contact with McAfee support, who directed me to replace my hosts file and run a separate update application, but no joy. I've been in contact with McAfee through chat who first told me I needed to remove the spyware programmes mentioned above (no help) and then that they couldn't help any more.

Would anyone have any ideas here?
Tags (1)
4 Replies
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

RE: Problem with updates

hi, can you please post the version of McAfee products that you have (Click on About on MSC). Also please post the computer's OS specs: RAM, processor, service pack version, IE version.

try running MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt and post the session ID here.
PaulKenny
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. The details are as follows:

McAfee: Security Center 9.0.295, Viruscan 13.0.232, Firewall 10.0.209, SiteAdvisor 2.8, AntiSpam 10.0.162, Parental Controls 11.0.378, Easy Network 3.0.154, Backup and Restore 3.0.131.

Laptop: Windows Xpnull Media Center Edition (Build 2600), 2GB RAM, AMD Turion 64 MK-36 2.0GHz, Service Pack 3, Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13.

I ran MVT, Session ID: 13905220.

Hope you can help.
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

hi,

Try to do an uninstallation again, but after running the MCPR tool, do a search of all McAfee files and folders and delete them (especially in Program Files and C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data and C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Local Settings/Application Data). Also search for relevant McAfee registry keys (be careful in doing so and make sure you make a backup copy of your Registry) and remove them.

also make sure your Windows is fully updated, including Java.

please keep us updated.
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

No third parties

Hi,

Please also make sure that you don't have a third party application (another antivirus installed in the computer) e.g. norton/symantec...

if you did use another antivirus software try to run the removal tool for that particular program...

removal tools for third parties are found here...

if you decide to reinstall the mcafee software make sure that you run MCPR...

hope this helps... happy
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community