Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom_tricam
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Problem with Javascript and McAfee on wife's computer

Hi

Went to update McAfee Internet security on family laptops today, all went fine on mine.  All went pearshaped on wife's. She has an Acer aspire running Windows 7 home premium.  Basically the current McAfee will not open whatsoever, you just get a nice blank white screen.  It cannot be unistalled as again you just get a blank white window.  When trying to install McAfee 2011 she gets an error message saying

"Installation Cannot Continue

We're having trouble installing your McAfee sofware because JavaScript is not working correctly on this PC."

So, we did the sensible thing and googled the problem, found responses in the discussions on here telling people to

click on the start button(windows logo on Vista)

on the field "start search" type "cmd" without the qoutes, an icon will apear on the top part.

right click on that icon then select "Run as Administrator"

type "regsvr32 jscript.dll" without the quotes on the black window that will apear then press Enter(A message will appear confirming that the process was succesful) Restart your PC then try to download McAfee again.

Unfortunately, she just gets the error message

"The module jscript.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterserver failed with error code 0x80004005.

She can't update javascript manually online as she has no internet access whatsoever on her laptop since this problem occurred, which is hampering any attempts to do anything, and which is possibly causing the error message with the command module.  So we have no clue as to how to proceed.

Please help

6 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problem with Javascript and McAfee on wife's computer

Error 0x80004005 just means "Access is denied". In Vista, and so probably in Win 7, you need to run "regsvr" command from an elevated command prompt, hence the requirement to right-click on the icon and select Run As Administrator. Is that what you did?

There is a thread about this problem on Mcrosoft Answers, with a description of how to fix it, HERE.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 28/07/11 23:52:49 IST
tom_tricam
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Yes, have tried running the prompt at administrator, and am still getting the same error message.  Have run the other command regsvr32 vbscript.dll with no problems, but the jscript prompt is not a happy bunny.

Have done through the thread you suggested and tried running sfc/ scannow to check and resolve problems, no integrity violations were found, but I am still unable to run the jscript prompt successfully.

tom_tricam
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Can anyone help with this problem?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

On the wife's machine what version of IE is installed? (Open it and go to Help/About).  If IE8 please update to IE9 and try again or if IE9 beta or RC versions please uninstall and then install IE9 final version and then retry.

Do this regardless of the default browser preferences.

Also it should be Windows 7 SP1 now and here's help with installing the Service Pack:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/07/11 2:51:11 EDT PM
tom_tricam
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Peter

Thanks for your input.  (Wife replying now not Tom) I have successfully managed to get rid of the currect mcafee, as previously I was unable to do so using the install programs etc tool within control panel, using the mcafee removal tool which I didnn't know existed.  This means that I can now access the internet which is great.  I've also updated Java since just in case.  

Unfortunately, I am still left with the little problem regarding the jscript.dll prompt.  I'm not particularly technical, and as I said I don't really do that much on my computer, but it bothers me that there's something wrong.  And I had still been totally unable to try installing the new McAfee using the installation disc as it keeps saying there's still this problem with Java.

I searched on the error message relating to the jscript.dll command and I have tried a couple more things today.  Trying Qella's fix on this thread here, and also going to Microsoft's support where there is a guide to correcting blank dialog boxes (which is what i got whenever trying to do anything with mcafee), by either using the prompts within the Command centre or by editing the registry as suggested here. In this instance the resolution described didn't work, as the Inprocerv32 file within the first registry key that they suggest you check, is unaccessible due to an "error".  The other two registry keys are fine and set correctly, at the moment I am assuming that the first key has somehow become somehow corrupted.

As I don;t know what else this problem may affect in the future I would like to try to fix it, so any further suggestions would be welcome.

The laptop is running IE9, so I am going to do as you suggested now that my 2 year old and 4 month old baby are asleep and I can carry on trying to sort this sodding problem out in a little bit of peace. And have a look at the service pack too.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Try opening Internet Explorer and going to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset.  Click Apply and OK any prompts.

Close and reopen the bowser and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

It's not that easy to troubleshoot these things exspecially as jsript and Java are two different things really.

See if that helps.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community