Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 1 of 5

Popup says Windows Defender has detected a trojan and locks PC

Jump to solution

Earlier this year I got a popup screen which totally locked up my laptop PC.  It said that Windows Defender had detected a trojan, my PC was compromized, and not to turn it off but to call Microsoft Support at the displayed number.  I did, and it turned out it was not Microsoft Support, but a company called Capital Network Systems, which said it was a network problem and persuaded me to pay to have them remove it. However, the other PC on my network was not affected.

I eventually got them to refund my money. but then had to pay a hefty calcellation fee to do this.  They keep calling and emailing although I keep telling them to stop.

Recently I got the popup again, but this time just shut down the PC, then when I powered it back on it just looped and would not come back up.  Tried this several times then got a wiindow which first said Automatic Repair Started, then Repairing disk errors - this may take an hour. I let that run, and eventually the PC came up and everything was fine.

I have Windows 10 with a Firefox browser and McAfee Protection, so I do not even use Windows defender.  This happens unpredictably so I can't recreate it, but at least now can avoid it by shutting off the PC, but want to alert other users if they get this.

However, why didn't McAfee prevent this from happening in the first place?  

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sudharsanam_G1
Message 2 of 5

Re: Popup says Windows Defender has detected a trojan and locks PC

Jump to solution

Hi @bjedrick 

We regret for the inconvenience!

This seems to be an unwanted browser extension/software causing the trouble. McAfee Malware Cleaner (MMC) is a free tool that cleans malware, adware, viruses, and other threats from your Windows computer. kindly refer the below article for troubleshooting steps.

McAfee Malware Cleaner

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for immediate assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

View solution in original post

bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Downloaded and ran the malware cleaner. It said it cleared 2 infected files and the PC restarted correctly.  It would be great if this could be periodically scheduled like a scan.

Now will have to wait and hope I don't need it again.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Sudharsanam_G1
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @bjedrick 

We regret for the inconvenience!

This seems to be an unwanted browser extension/software causing the trouble. McAfee Malware Cleaner (MMC) is a free tool that cleans malware, adware, viruses, and other threats from your Windows computer. kindly refer the below article for troubleshooting steps.

McAfee Malware Cleaner

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for immediate assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Downloaded and ran the malware cleaner. It said it cleared 2 infected files and the PC restarted correctly.  It would be great if this could be periodically scheduled like a scan.

Now will have to wait and hope I don't need it again.  Thanks.

nualbewitched
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

In the end, I was successful in obtaining a refund. nonetheless, this came with a substantial cancellation cost. I've asked them to stop phoning and emailing several times yet they continue to ignore me.

dordle

jkblues
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

I have the same thing with Trojan: SLOCKER

They screwed me out of $179 before I figured out it was not Microsoft. I blocked their phone calls and I am still worried that they will access my system. I bought all the McAfee software and ran all the scans, nothing was found. I will try McAfee Malware Cleaner since I have to get rid of this Trojan.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community