cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmv
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

PC Real Slow- MCSHIELD and MCSYSMON

Good Morning- Running Windows XP (Home Edition) I have McAfee Security Center and it seems to slow down my PC online and offline. Even before I’m online –when I check the Task Manager MCSHIELD and MCSYSMON seem to be taking up all the memory 100%. I have no other software installed that may conflict and I have scanned for malware, spyware etc… Are there any settings that I can modify within security center or disable any settings? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
7 Replies
thdzsm
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: PC Real Slow- MCSHIELD and MCSYSMON

I have the same problem. Is there a fix?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

You posted to an old unanswered thread...well here goes...

It shouldn't be happening if your system, including Internet Explorer, is totally up to date and assuming no infections present.

Try a cleanup after making sure everything is up to date.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel". Reboot if asked to.

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool). Reboot.

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
thdzsm
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Hello Peter. I tagged onto this post because I don’t seem able to create a new thread on my own. This is my issue more specifically-- My 1.8GHz HP Laptop (ze4560us) runs Windows XP Home with 512 MB RAM. The 40GB hard drive was completely reformatted just prior to installing VirusScan Plus. Until now, processing speed has never really been issue. However, following the installation of VirusScan Plus the computer has slowed way down significantly, even when off-line.

I am also having the same issue with my desktop following the installation of VirusScan Plus.
Any suggestions on what can be done to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
John
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

If you could post reply then you should be able to post New Thread just as easily, no matter anyway.

Try the cleanup I suggested above. However with only 512mb of RAM I think you are rubbing the bottom level for memory. Is there any way you can expand that?

This is XP SP3 I hope?
thdzsm
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Oh ya-- XP SP3 is loaded. I know that 512 MB RAM is not a lot nowadays. However, it was enough before loading VirusScan Plus. The system requirements only call for only 256 MB RAM.

Nevertheless, I will take the RAM up to 1 GB. But will that solve the problem?
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Re: RE: PC Real Slow- MCSHIELD and MCSYSMON

Hello thdzsm,

It sounds like a few issues are happening here. the system specs lead me to believe that pc is an older. I am not saying that older system are bad, at time you may have to wait for them to catch up.

Things that are likely contributing to the performance issues.

- The hard disk is an PATA drive and not likely to be a higher RPM model

- The CPU is an older AMD Athalon it looks like a single core CPU, most application now are designed from multi core CPU's this can slow systems down.

- Your Video is using shared RAM, this reduces available ram to the OS

- Your RAM is low with respect to XP SP3

While you may find the OS is happy prior to installing your security suite the addition of the suite may be just enought to tip the balance.

Once a system gets low on resource and needs to swap out memory to the hard drive the performace of the system gets slow.

With respect to the high CPU usage of any process is not in itself a bad thing.

If the CPU usage stays high for a long time and or does not allow other process to share the CPU then I agree there is an issue.

If you have MTP you might want to remove all but critcal applications to see if it helps. The basic apps that you need are SecurityCenter, VirusScan, Firewall.

If you get the ram upgrade it should help allot.  If add the RAM and reinstall does not please let us know.

johnvick
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Re: PC Real Slow- MCSHIELD and MCSYSMON

that could also be because of the bugs and junk files in your system , try a cleaner to clean them up and i think your will get back your pcs speed

This is an old thread (5 years old) your post might be legit but posting a recommendation to use a particular registry cleanercan be taken as spam. Besides cleaners can clean out too much we have seen some clean out required Mcafee files so we here do not recommend them.

Locking thread..... Mod

Message was edited as possible spam on 2/04/14 6:41:16 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community