cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
culican
Former Member
Message 21 of 42

RE: Exact same problem here

Even with a 7mbps cable connection it took several minutes to update. Note that I did not delete the *contents* of the dat folder, I deleted the entire folder (including it's contents) as well. Update restored the folder and contents, all with the current date, which seems to satisfy the program so as to not generate error messages.

Like I said, even with a cable modem connection, that rotating arrow seemed to go on forever. I finally went and took a shower and when I returned it was finally done.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 42

Good idea.. even with my high-speed cable and fast PC it sometimes drives me round the bend if it's a major update.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 23 of 42

This is something I'm seeing as well.

It downloads that update, comes to install, and then gives up. So you get the rotating icon, it goes through the % download, and then proceeds to install for a few seconds, and then just stops and the rotating icon disappears.
culican
Former Member
Message 24 of 42

Just out of curiosity I checked the DAT folder. It is 75.5 megs. So restoring it will take time with a cable modem or DSL, will probably take a few hours over dialup as the one poster is using.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 25 of 42

Could there be something wrong with the actual DAT pushes? Obviously it's downloading, but it's not installing correctly...?

I've never seen this before - but if it's downloading, but not installing, perhaps there's some essential component of the DAT push that's missing?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 42

Then I would suggest either contacting Tech. Support directly or doing a complete uninstall, run the cleanup tool and reinstall.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 27 of 42

The caveat with such an approach (as is always suggested by Front Line) - is that if the McAfee server has an issue, or if the download protocol is corrupt or missing the essential component, and uninstall and attempted reinstall may land you with no protection at all - especially if you can't pulldown from McAfee, or get a DAT update.

So a signature that's a week out of date is better than no protection at all - especially since the suite is so tightly integrated now such that if you uninstall, you take all other bits of McAfee with you, not just the VirusScan.

I'm going to give it a few days to see what transpires. Sometimes that's all that's needed in McAfee's case - a few days to get things sorted out.

Would appreciate your feedback from the conference call tho'.

Cheers,
Goph.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 42

OK will try to get back on it.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 29 of 42

Much appreciated!

One of the forced updates I just tried now incidentally didn't get the update downloaded - just stopped halfway. Sounds like a hokey server issue to me.

Are you seeing this on your side - given that I'm in the UK, I'm assuming that whatever happens on your side of the world might not be the same as over here! 😉

Cheers,
Goph.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 42

I already got today's update ages ago so all it gives me is the "UP TO DATE" type of pop-up.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community