cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trentend
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

No Internet connection since mcaffee update. Can't uninstall mcaffee using mcpr tool. Help!

I think this is a common issue having googled my problem but I can't find any fixes anywhere. Any advice? I have vista on a dell pc which worked fine until I recently updated mcaffee. I think I also updated windows at the same time and also cannot turn on automatic update for windows so I don't know if the two are related?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: No Internet connection since mcaffee update. Can't uninstall mcaffee using mcpr tool. Help!

This is Vista SP2 I trust?   Also have you updated Internet Explorer to the latest version, IE9, and updated it along withg its add-ons?    McAfee, like many other brands of software, relies on IE to work properly regardless of your default browser settings.

Have you tried right-clicking the Network icon by the clock and selecting Diagnose and Repair?

It was a problem, fixed long ago by a patch, however those who get their software via their ISP or other 3rd parties may not have had that patch passed on to them as those 3rd parties tend to hang on to such things while they 'test' them, which is rather unfortunate.

Either read here:  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101507

Or uninstall the software via Control Panel.  Using another machine download the MCPR installer to a USB flash drive, transfer it to your desktop and install it then run it.

Reboot immediately and try reinstalling from your online account.

trentend
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Re: No Internet connection since mcaffee update. Can't uninstall mcaffee using mcpr tool. Help!

Hi Peter. I opened in safe mode network this time and managed to run mcpr. It still gave me an incomplete uninstall message but ran for much longer and I can't see mcaffee on my desktop anymore. I don't have Internet connectivity so I'm not sure how I can go about installing a later version of IE?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

Try running MCPR a second time.   If you have access to a USB flash drive to transfer stuff to your desktop as I suggested then try this script, it's a long shot but may wo9rk to restore your connection:

1. Save any work. The script will ask you to reboot your computer when it completes.
  2. Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcscriptfix.zip
  3. Unzip the file you downloaded.
  4. Open the new folder.
  5. Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
  6. If prompted, click Yes in the User Account Control box.
  7. As this script runs, a black CMD.EXE (DOS Prompt) window opens. When prompted, Press any key to continue... and the CMD.EXE window will close.
  8. Restart your computer.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

By the way does "Safe Mode with Networking" work with the Internet?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community