cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcpa
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

New Total Protection Security Center 12.8 causing HD issues in XP?

Over the weekend, I was updated to Security Center 12.8.856 for my Total Protection subscription.  I run Windows XP (I know), but during my first shut down after update, the hard drive started to make loud skipping noises.  When I restarted, also got noise at startup, and the first boot was not complete.  The security center update had trouble, and certain items weren't originally working.  For example, trying to access the Firewall caused the McAfee application to hang, and it needed to be forcibly stopped.  Eventually the security center update was complete.  Needed to reboot.  Twice I believe.  More ominous hard drive noises.  Sounds like an imminent hard drive failure.  But, very strange that my 1.5 year old hard drive was running smoothly until that update.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Could it be that a McAfee service is not terminating properly and is still causing HD spin into shut down?

19 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 20

Re: New Total Protection Security Center 12.8 causing HD issues in XP?

No other reports that I have come accross. My wife's PC updated no issue though not XP.

What are the PC specs? ie cpu and ram?

That said I would try uninstalling fully by

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot twice and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

If still an issue call support and ask them. Link in useful links tab avove.

jcpa
Former Member
Message 3 of 20

Ah yes, the old uninstall/reinstall.  I stated this indirectly, because it was more of an indirect complaint about major software releases, so to be more direct:

1 - the McAfee software updated properly. 

2- I do wish major software updates were given a warning with a now/later option, or at least a mention on the McAfee home page for that product.  It is really unacceptable to start a Monday morning needing to be productive for the whole day, and spend too much time fighting a software update done on someone else's schedule.

My pc's specs regarding the processor cpu and the ram amounts are not the likely culprits, if this update does have something to do with the hard drive still spinning at shutdown.  It would most likely be due to incomplete testing on the older operating systems, such as XP.  The temptation for the software developer and tester would be to test the new software release completely in the most recent operating system versions, and give short shrift to testing in earlier versions.  But, since no one else seems to have responded to this issue, it looks like it may be a very unhappy coincidence: major McAfee software update and the beginning of hard drive failure at the very same time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 20

2- I do wish major software updates were given a warning with a now/later option, or at least a mention on the McAfee home page for that product.  It is really unacceptable to start a Monday morning needing to be productive for the whole day, and spend too much time fighting a software update done on someone else's schedule.

You can set updates to not occur automatically.  Open SecurityCenter, click Updates and then Update Settings and alter accordingly.

Regarding hard drive issues, have had a hard drive fail on me recently so can sympathise there.   Meanwhile Peacekeeper may have more to add.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/10/13 1:25:09 EDT PM
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 20

I have a XP PC that I have just rebuilt after a hard drive failure I will update Mcafee to that version and see what happens this afternoon. I asume you hav ethought about running a disk test via chkdsk c: /r on the drive?

I will ask the techs in our moderator call today if there are any reports.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 20

Nothing seen in support I suggest test your drive.. Is the drive still under warranty?

jcpa
Former Member
Message 7 of 20

Regarding the check disks, I was able to do even better last week with a diagnostic utility direct from the hard drive vendor, the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.  However, it comes back with all systems go, and after some thought, that makes sense since the drive is fine once it gets past boot/shutdown (at least at this point).  I also always have the Intel Desktop Utility running in the background which monitors hard drive health, and other hardware temperatures, fan speeds and power supplies.  So, neither has come back with hard drive warnings, but both of these utilities run after the system is up.  I suspect a boot diagnostic would have something to say. 

You are brave to sacrifice your new hard drive running XP to this test, but I guess the update is inevitable, anyway.  Let me know if you find anything. 

Also, regarding the McAfee Update options, I have left it on automatic because 99 times out of 100 in a year, I do want the latest malware updates immediately.  It would be great, however, if McAfee had a way to allow the user to schedule major software updates.

Regarding the hard drive warranty, I am persuing that with the vendor because it is still under warranty, but am still curious because of the coincident timing, whether anyone else has had an issue with their hard drive at boot/shut down after the update to McAfee Secuirty Center version 12.8, build 12.8.856.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 20

The chkdsk /r is far more thorough a disk check than the WD Utility.   I would definitely do that.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 20

Will test it this arvo was a tad busy ducking storms here yesterday arvo.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 20

Ok updated to 12.8.856 and did 12 windows updates as well as adobe flash and java installs. All worked fine and pc rebooted now 4 times no issues.  In 11 years as mod here I have never seen Mcafee trash a drive hardware wise at least.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community