cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helpneeded22
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Networking Profiles removed by McAfee?

I am trying to help a friend with a problem he experienced on the same day as the McAfee DAT 5958 False Positive Error.  Although I am not aware of what version he is using at home, it is just a home version, which to my understanding should not have been affected by the problem.  However, after that day a couple things have happened:

- all networking profiles have been deleted

- cannot add a new network profile

- cannot use system restore (even in safe mode)

I wish I could remember the error message that came up when I tried to do these, but I can not.  It was the same error message that came up though, for all the above.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and how they fixed it?  I will mave my friend get me the error message to post, as I know that will be more useful.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is a complete re-instal of Windows XP.  Although, he does not recall receiving a Windows XP instal disc from Dell, so that could be problematic.

Thanks.

2 Replies
hatethisstuff
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Networking Profiles removed by McAfee?

I think I'm having the same problem.  I can't access most websites (including McAfee service), yet my network information says I'm connected.  My router is working and I'm connected on my other laptop (without McAfee - thank goodness!).

I checked recent events in McAfee and it shows "real-time virus protection enabled" but that hasn't happened since the 26th of april....5 days ago!

On the McAfee Security Center "Manage Network" menu, under "manage device properties, the "standard router" was selected.  I checked "wireless router" instead.. that didn't help.

On "Manage this Device", it takes me to my router page but I'm not going to mess with that for fear of screwing it up on my other laptop.  Besides, I don't think it's a router problem... I think it's a McAfee problem.

I'm getting all sorts of phishing emails from Nigeria, and I have serious doubts that my computer is protected at all (although McAfee says it is).

Does this have anything to do with McAfee's update blunder?  Is there a resolution?

Message was edited by: hatethisstuff on 5/1/10 3:13:59 PM CDT

Message was edited by: hatethisstuff on 5/1/10 3:43:00 PM CDT
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 3

Re: Networking Profiles removed by McAfee?

I am not a product expert but I've moved this to our Home and Home Office area. Hopefully someone can help you soon.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community