cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenmat
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Navigation to the page is canceled; Stinger.exe will not open

I've tried to use stinger.exe and a couple of other tools.  Once they have been downloaded, I cannot open them or they don't download at all.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I'm running Win7, 32-bit.

Thanks!

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Navigation to the page is canceled; Stinger.exe will not open

First try booting to Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and see if you can initiate System Restore to before the infection happened.   If not try Malwarebytes Free in "Safe Mode with Networking" (same menu further down).  It can be downloaded, installed, updated and run all in that mode.

Hints and download links in the link at the bottom of my signature.

greenmat
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

I've performed a restore, but I am not able to download anything.  So I cannot run malwarebytes or stinger.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 15

There are similar posts on the Microsoft forms but the problem has different answers depending on operating system and browser. Which browser are you using, and which version of Windows is it?

greenmat
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

I'm using Windows 7, 32-bit.  I've tried both Mozilla and IE.

Thanks for the help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

That's Windows 7 SP1 I trust, if not, and after we've sorted this out,  read here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205 also please update IE, whether or not you use it, to IE9 if not already there.

For the time being let's try to get you connected.

First try righ-clicking your Network icon by the clock and select 'Diagnose and Repair'.

greenmat
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

I updated Windows and rebooted.  I have not been able to upgrade to IE9.  It's blocked by whatever has infected my laptop.

greenmat
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

I also cleared the temp file, cache file and history files.  I rebooted in Safe Mode and restored to last good config.  But I am still having the same problems.

greenmat
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

I was finally able to get stinger to run, it returned a clean report.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 15

Download malwarebytes and superantispyware to a usb stick rename the files and install them. When the install asks for folder name rename the folder and install them and run them. That was how I got around 1 set of malware. Also check your hosts file is standard ie no mcsfee address in it or other AV addresses.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community