cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 25

Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)

corynex wrote:

I was one of the early posters on the original thread.  The problem went away for us a long time ago - but it has recently returned, with a vengeance.  Something about a recent update caused it to come back, and real-time scanning has been off as a result.  As this laptop is one my wife uses for work very infrequently (a backup to her home-based desktop) we are not sure at which point in time the problem resurfaced.  Most likely it was in late April - early May.  After much frustration we finally got approval from her IT to have the McAfee tech granted remote access.  The problem turned out to be a Windows service that had been stopped as a result of the update (or more likely an interaction of the update with something else on the machine, like a pending Adobe update as those have caused similar issues for us with other software updates).  I do not recall the exact name of the stopped service but it was something to do with "announcer" and was a Mcafee service.  As I use a mac I am unable to check on the exact name, but I am sure that it would be immediately obvious to someone on a windows PC scanning the Services list.  So, anyone with this problem as of May 2013 might want to check that the Mcafee services are all running.  A simple fix but took quite a while to figure it out.

Thanks for that tip.  I guess it's this one:

Capture.JPG

I see that it should be Started and on Automatic (Delayed Start) - at least that's the setting in my current boot, Vista.

That's a good tip and one to look for in these circumstances and it does certainly look like something clashes with something else at the wrong moment and then 'bingo' we have problems.

I've never come across it on any of my setups yet though.  Odd.

corynex
Former Member
Message 12 of 25

That indeed looks like the one.  I suppose you could try turning the service off and see if it causes the RTS problem?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 25

Tried that but the software remained in the 'green' protecting state.  I even rebooted and it remained that way but on checking services.msc I noticed the service had reset to started and auto-delayed  start.

There has to be another factor involved and only support could figure that one out.

gary13235
Former Member
Message 14 of 25

I have been experiencing same problem with Total Protection. Computer is Acer Aspire 5750 running Win7 x64  sp1.  No viruses or malware found.  Only solution is continued re-installing Total Protection (5 times over last few months).  Real time scan works for a while then the problem starts again.  Will not use McAfee products again after current subscription expires.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 25

That's a shame.  Technical Support is there if you need them.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 16 of 25

hey guys, I had the issue with updates, I could not receive them from about 26-28 agoust, well, the only way was to remove Oeminfo folder, in program files/mcafee; I know this as 1 year ago I had the same issue, after that I started manual update and I passed the bug update of 26-28 august, I do not remeber the exact date, I know that after 15 of agust it happened.

The next morning, the automatic update started, and all went good, but after 30 second, real time scanning is not working, and after 2 minutes it download and install updates, and after 30 seconds again does npt work and so on, so it eats 7 mb. every 3-4 minutes from my internet bandwich.

If there is no issue with that, I ask modereator to provide me what services are and how they work in his computer; mine are the following:

anti-malware core - started/automatic

ap service - started/automatic

firewall core service - started/automatic

home network - started/automatic (delayed start)

platform services - started/automatic (delayed start)

proxy service - started/automatic

mcafee scanner - off/manual - this service was always off, as  switched it off manually, because, I could not even put file to desktop, when it said it was virus inside. Now no viruses, full scan was done 3 days ago!

siteadvisor service - started/automatic

validation trust protection service - started/automatic

virus scan announcer - started/automatic (delayed start)

make a screenshot, it`s easier that to write like me!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 25

These are mine, all at default setting and it's on Vista Ultimate SP2 x64 (click to enlarge if necessary):

Capture.JPG

The McAfee Scanner will only activate when a physical scan is being run.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/09/13 7:43:18 EDT AM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 18 of 25

well, it is like mine, but the same thing, also scan do not start, nor full scan, nor fast personal scan.

Can you offer smth. except mtv and vtc. Are there other thread like this in the last 3-4 days?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 25

You mentioned removing a folder, which no doubt would cause problems.    All I offer, if you don't want to run the Virtual Technician (I presume that's what you meant) is to completely uninstall, run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Otherwise you will have to ask Technical Support, it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, but before connecting the UI will ask you to run the MVT anyway because support needs that information.

Make sure you are free of infection first, see the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/09/13 8:32:49 EDT AM
cloudybright
Former Member
Message 20 of 25

Thanks for being there Ex_Brit.

Just wanted to let you know that I arrived at this post because I was experiencing the same problem with real time scanning.

I would turn it on, it would immediately turn off - over and over again and again. . .

Prelude:

I was having trouble getting a blue tooth GPS reciever to connect to the laptop (Dell XPS Win 7 x64 sp1)

In the process of troubleshooting it, I shut the compter OFF (not a restart).

When I restarted the laptop, while blankly staring at the screen, I noticed the Glary Utilities 8 was installing itself upon boot.

It seems that everyone and his brother's software now wants to install upon boot.

So I let the laptop continue the bootup process.

When the laptop was fully booted I went to Control Panel and removed Glary Utilities 8

Next step was to restart the laptop.

The laptop operating system came up perfectly. 

McAfee was normal, real time scanning was up and running.

(The bluetooth GPS is being recieved perfectly now too.)

So. . .for what it's worth that has been my experience and maybe it will offer a clue that can help someone.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community