cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 26

Re: My McAfee up to date and i am still getting 'Popups'

PC utilities pro /optimiser pro google it many hits re saying this is malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491288/help-me-remove-pc-utilities-pro-optimizer-pro/

Try the programs in Peter's antispyware program link  You did follow it but seems you got an unwelcome addon.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/02/14 2:51:28 PM
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 26

Hi ms.jess,

Sometimes when being unfamiliar with using these "Superb Malware Removal Tools", one can become confused. If I may, suggest that you (Google) the Llink below and click on the one that opens, and it will give you a "Step by Step" informative Guide to assist you.

Google:    Removepcutilitiesoptimizerproremovalguide

When you see this link,     Removepcutilitiesoptimizerpro (removal guide)

malwaretips.com/blogs/pc-utilities-pro-removal/

Simply click on it, and follow the instructions. You will actually see the Program being discussed.

This particular Malware scans your computer,and attempts to make you purchase their software to remove all indicated entities.

I hope this helps, in addition to the valuable advice you have been given already.

Kind Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/9/14 2:04:07 AM CST

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 2/9/14 6:47:17 AM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_17866
Contributor
Message 23 of 26

I appreciate all the help and suggestions offered. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox last night as a last resort before restoring factory settings. That appears to have worked. It was getting really frustrating trying to decipher what might be legit software downloads online and what might have been a misleading link. Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Peacekeeper
Message 24 of 26

Did you try the uninstall links.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pc-optimizer-pro-virus/

These false utility programs/false AV programs usually popup a warning and if you click on anything including the X (close windows option) it installs. Best way is to end task the process or shutdown the PC and boot  and scan the PC.

This one probably came from an add on option to software you installed.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/02/14 6:38:40 AM
delish
Former Member
Message 25 of 26

Hi Jess,

That was actually an adware which has corrupted your browser and the browser was not able to retrive its settings. So when you uninstalled and reinstalled the FireFox it removed all the adware settings and installed a fresh one.  However, in future to get rid of infections and hackers you may go though the below link for more information on securing your computers:

http://www.mcafee.com/in/threat-center/resources/security-tips-13-ways-to-protect-system.aspx

http://www.mcafee.com/in/security-awareness/security-tips.aspx

- Caustus

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 26 of 26

Hi delish,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts..!

Regards

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community