cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 36

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Thank you Tracy.

Malky
Former Member
Message 12 of 36

I thank all for the input. I will now be watching the levels of spam closely from now on.

As I am still suspicious regarding the "missing" option of control of data, as was available in the 2009 version, I will hold back in checking the "Yes, my question has been answered" option above the toolbar at present.

Best regards

Malky

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 36

Good luck.

I don't use Anti-Spam myself so refused that part of the installation, but nothing much has changed in that regard, same as the 2009 version with a few tweaks apparently.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/02/10 7:19:44 EST AM
Malky
Former Member
Message 14 of 36

Interestingly, I use Genesreunited as I am into family history. Before, when I first connected, the 2009 version had the popup window popping up asking me if I wished to give genesrunited my name, and again, my e-mail address. They were required so Genes could connect me to my account. Both, the e-mail and name were on the self edited protected information, along with my address etc. While working on my family tree within Genes, the popup window would come up again asking if several other different web addresses could have my e-mail address. As I saw no direct link to the original site, I blocked them, as I was able to do so if I wished with the 2009 version. That was my option.

I have been onto Genesreunited today. Guess what. That site, along with others, are downloading what they wish, cause it/they aint asking me for permission, and I aint getting the option to stop it/them. These other sites now have my information to do so as they wish, probably to sell my e-mail address to anyone who is interested. I feel the onslaught of spam a comming.

The information which I wished to be protected is now whizzing around the ether with no control from me. Thank you very much McAfee.

Where is your private!! information going??

Regards

Malky

Message was edited by: Malky on 18/02/10 06:51:57 CST

Message was edited by: Malky on 18/02/10 06:52:25 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 36

Tracy, your turn !!

tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 36

A few things could be causing this.  Did you ever leave a genesreunited log-in box checked by default to 'save my log-in information' or 'log me in automatically'?  Also, have you upgraded Internet Explorer recently?  If so, one of the options is to have it remember your log-in information on websites.  You can check out the IE status, and have it stop remembering passwords by following these steps:

To disable this feature:

• Open Internet Explorer.
  • From the Tools menu, select 'Internet Options...'.
  • Select the Content tab.
  • Press the AutoComplete... button
  • Uncheck the 'User names and passwords on forms' checkbox.
  • Press the 'Clear Passwords' button.
  • Press the 'OK' buttons (three times).

To stop genereunited from logging you in automatically, just log-out and be sure not to leave any boxes checked that ask if you would like to automatically log-in in the future.

Alternatively, you may want to check with Genesreunited about their privacy policy.  If its not meeting your needs, maybe you should dump them?  I'll be curious to hear back from you on this.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
Malky
Former Member
Message 17 of 36

I clear my internet cache at the end of each session. I tried it yesterday, on another computer with the 2009 version installed. I was still given the same option to allow or block. (It does not only happen on Genesreunited. It happens with hundreds of web sites). Obviously, the 2010 version does not. What is noticed, is if you switch OFF the personal information "Identity Protection" in the 2009 version, a McAfee popup comes up stating that "your computer is not fully protected". So I have to come to the conclusion, that the 2010 version of McAfee Internet Security does not give the same level of protection as the 2009 version of the same. Self editing identity Protection does not exist in the 2010 version, so why was it removed considering the popup warnings in the previous edition.

One other thing, when I was having problems with the "Trust" issues in my home network, and finally found out that a file was missing from the Firewall, I re-downloaded the 2010 version directly from the 2010 CD. Guess what, it was the 2009 version loaded from the CD, not the 2010. I am still having problems, as the software stated, 3PC's. The "Trust" settings in the network software of the 2010 version is reading my Modem as a PC, therefore I can only get Trust in my home network to work on 2 out of 3 home PC's. Does the program writers realise this??

Regards

Malky

Malky
Former Member
Message 18 of 36

Just an update.

The "Trust" issue is now sorted, well nearly, at times the screen shows some conflicting issues, but after a little tweek from myself, it sorts it's self out.

The results of the missing "user control" feature regarding personal information, is now showing. I now have a serious rise in spam e-mails directly mentioning my e-mail address. Along with other personal information, I used to withold said, but now I cannot and as a result, I am getting hit by the damn stuff. It would be a lot better if McAfee just put the option back in the main program through a downloadable patch. It would not be that difficult. Would it??

Regards

Malky

tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 36

Malky - I'm glad you're getting some of your issues addressed.  I'm going to send this thread to the Product Manager in charge of our Anti-Spam technology, to ensure they've received your input.  Keep it coming!

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
Malky
Former Member
Message 20 of 36

Thank you for your input. It will be interesting to see what and if McAfee actually does to restore the identity/personal information problem. We can only sit and wait.

Thanks again.

Bset regards

Malky

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community