cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedzek
Former Member
Message 251 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Another improvement:  Under Windows System in the Control Panel, under advanced and performance, I set one of the settings from programs to system cache.  This greatly improved the WINLOGIN.EXE problem, since that system service was now cached and one doesn't have to wait for a disk read every time it's called.  I am basically running at 98% idle.  So, as stated earlier, we just need to figure out what in MCUPDATE caused MCSHIELD performance to take a hit and stay a problem.  As noted, running MC Virtual Technician fixes this, but it reappears the next time an update is run.  Ah, just love these computers. :^) As a side note, I re-enabled the settings that I disabled before in Virus Scan because it was Virtual Technician that clears the performance problem and not the settings, until the next update is run.

Message was edited by: joedzek on 5/12/13 2:38:17 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 252 of 261

What I have been saying all through this thread is single cored cpus and 11.6 do not like each other. my daughters 1.5 celeron laptop locked up when I opened 2 windows but when upgraded to 12.1 the new version it seemed to be happier with minimal cpu usage.

So any reason you are still on 11.6? are you with a mcafee partner ie say ypou ISP whpo suppleied your mcafee version some hold back upgrades a long time.

to check post your affid no that is shown in the about details.

joedzek
Former Member
Message 253 of 261

Tony, I have a brand new installation of AV Plus 2013.  The stores didn't have boxed versions for 3 licenses, so I ended-up buying a download version (Office Max) of the 3 license version of AV Plus 2013.  So, if you are saying there is a newer version, then I don't know why they are not selling it via their retail download sites.

Message was edited by: joedzek on 5/13/13 8:17:16 AM CDT
joedzek
Former Member
Message 254 of 261

Update: Yesterday, changing the Windows XP setting from Programs to System Cache eliminated the WINLOGIN.EXE CPU bandwidth problem, but the MCSHIELD CPU bandwidth problem was still there.  MC Virtual Tech would fix the MCSHIELD performance problem, but the updater would just put the problem back after an update.  However, after a manual update this morning, the MCSHIELD CPU performance problem is also gone and I am running 98% idle.  I checked the Consumer AV product rev numbers and they are still at 11.6 for Security Center and 15.6 for Virus Scan.  Hopefully the good performance will last past the next update. :^)  My VISTA machine running dual cores didn't see any of this, so you are right about it being a single core/thread issue.

Peacekeeper
Message 255 of 261

Mate what is your affid number you should have been on 12.1 by now as you bought it online . 12.1 will run better it stabilises fast. Oh any indexing will peak mcshield till that completed

joedzek
Former Member
Message 256 of 261

The AFFID number is: 0-3089.  Later-on today, after I run an update, I'll see where things are at, and then probably contact McAfee support and ask them what-up with 11.6 vs 12.1 and why a new downline purchase didn't have 12.1.

Peacekeeper
Message 257 of 261

That is a good idea as that number does not ring a bell and my contact has lost access to the list temporarily

That number is normal Mcafee just a campaigm version should update. I have a way to force it but best you let support look first

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/05/13 7:35:24 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/05/13 7:40:16 AM
joedzek
Former Member
Message 258 of 261

No luck with support - they were good and all - but my XP laptop system only has two 256MB SIMMS (BIOS limited), but when they looked at the system stats, it shows 448MB - don't know if that indicates a memory problem or that the system uses some memory for graphics and the rest goes to Windows.  So, they would not give me V12.1 because the memory showed below the 500MB requirement.  Actually, that may be an issue, since if the memory is a tad short, then that means more disk page file calls.  So, I gave up. :^)  I have MS Security Essentials running on both of my older XP machines and McAfee Security Plus 2013 on the newer dual core VISTA machine that has 1GB of RAM.

Peacekeeper
Message 259 of 261

Yes that would be graphics for part and I agree mcafee says 500mb needed where if you do use this mcafee runs like a dog backwards. 1gb would show heaps better and better again with 12.1 on a single core cpu. My daughters laptop had 1gb and I doubled it to 2gb and installed 12.1 now it is usable and she has not whinged once.

What screen resolution are you running the laptop on? 12.1 needs 1024*768 minimum to install so we have found out from posts here.

jamesgluten
Former Member
Message 260 of 261

Hey, i see you are facing a lot of problem due to high disk usage of your system that many times leads to lagging.Well i have the solution to your problem i found this link on internet..really a helping article http://errorcodespro.com/tiworker-exe-high-disk-usage-windows/. At begining i thought it was because of hard drive failure but i applied the solution it worked very well. You can find your solution at the given system.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community