Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 241 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

I hope you uninstalled the old 1 correctly ie via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run the mcpreinstall tool ( do a search for it here)

When you uninstall the beta do it only using the beta MCPR tool available on your beta page.

For the single cored CPU fraternity I have installed 12.1 on my daughter's celeron 1.6 and the cpu usage though high initiallty subsides fast to normal values. I opened 6 tabs in chrome and everything worked fine.  In ie9 things/sites do not load this could be an ie issue so I am investigating further as I said chrome works fine will try Firefox as well tomorrow.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/11/12 7:41:51 AM
tractorman26
Former Member
Message 242 of 261

No, as part of the Beta download it installed McAfee Virtual Technician, did a full machine check and then uninstalled the previous version and then a restart, but it all seems to be fine.

The new version has been on my machine now for 12 hours and is working great, all of the high CPU / high memory issues are gone, these used to kick in as soon as I opened up several tabs in IE9. I'll see how it goes over the next week or two but initial impressions are favourable.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Peacekeeper
Message 243 of 261

Ok thanks I assume previously when you had this issue you tried a reinstall of Mcafee , did you? Sometimes the install gets corrupted and a reinstall is needed.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/11/12 7:44:46 AM
tractorman26
Former Member
Message 244 of 261

Hi Peacekeeper,

Been nearly a week now and everything is still looking good with this Beta version. Machine is running much better and high CPU / memory has dissapeared.

Thanks.

Peacekeeper
Message 245 of 261

Great to get this a positive solution now to check my daughter's laptop on 12.1 after I reinstall windows.

windows was messed up by a windows update not blaming mcafee. Hope BT catches up soon.

Peacekeeper
Message 246 of 261

Ok got around to rebuild on daughters 1.6Ghz celeron 2gtb ram. Mcafee 11.6 caused 100% cpu usage when opening several sites in IE9  so I produced dumps for Mcafee and sent them off.

Notwithstanding they are going to look at the dumps and figure what is the issue I installed the new 12.1 version and as far as I see cpu usage is 100 % still BUT only for a few seconds then PC is usable so9 any1 with this issue on single core CPU Pcs ie old P4s usually try the 12.1 version. To get it you need to uninstall current version via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

This is done with download country set to Au,Us,Uk or Ca and provided your version not supplied by a partner/ISP as they lag in their available versions.

Can any1 try this please and post back the result.

joedzek
Former Member
Message 247 of 261

In May 2013 an I installed McAfee Anti Virus Plus 2013 and ended-up with the MCSHIELD and WINLOGIN consuming 95%+ of my 2.6Ghz CPU bandwidth on XP most of the time and for sure on updates.  Here is what I ended-up doing: Uninstalled AV+ at the Windows level; ran the McAfee removal tool; reinstalled AV+, but still had the problem. I then ran McAfee virtual technician and it found 12 problems (some were settings that I had changed, but it did make some registry changes) and some it did, like turning-off the MC firewall and then restarting it claiming it fixed the problem. :^)  Next I did these settings: disabled auto update; in RT scanning: set Prog and Docs only, Email and Instant Message protection ON, virus and spyware ON, turned OFF user active protection and threat patterns.  Also turned-OFF scheduled scans.  Now it seems to be running with my CPU idle mostly around 95% - greatly improved.  I was getting ready to flush it all.  :^)  We will see as it does some updates.  Joe

Message was edited by: joedzek on 5/11/13 3:21:57 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 248 of 261

Is security centre 12.1? Also the 2.6ghz cpu what cpu is it a P4 does it have hyperthreading or is it a dual core? The above issue usually shows only mcshiled as a high cpu user not winlogin but as you seem to have fixed it for now best to leave it alone.

Er I would not disable auto update unless you always manually update

joedzek
Former Member
Message 249 of 261

Tony, in answer to your questions: this laptop is a 12 year old Compaq Presario, 2.5Ghz, single core Celeron with 500MB memory running XP.  Security Center is at V11.6 and Virus Scanning is at V15.6.  After this morning's boot-up after it stabilized (15-20 minutes), I was still seeing around 97% idle time - goodness.  Then I told it to update and even during the update I was seeing idle times in the 90's% but with the large amount of disk activity, response was poor.  After the update it told me to reboot, so it took another 20 minutes to settle down after that.  It is like MCshield does a scan on updates or after a boot - wish I could disable that and just have it update. :^)  It looks like a clock on the CPU Usage display, ticking to 100% every few seconds.  MCSHIELD and WINLOGIN are the two main CPU hogs, up to 76% for each.  Once it settles down good, at around 30 minutes, things are very usuable.  I keep auto updates off because sometimes I have this computer connected to an amateur radio doing digital radio links (i.e PSK, RTTY, slow scan TV, etc), so I don't want it updating and consuming cpu horsepower during a live radio contact.  Joe

joedzek
Former Member
Message 250 of 261

Tony, now this is interesting.  I reran MC Virtual Technician again, and it came-up with 7 registry fixes.  Basically, it was restoring default settings that I had changed in the MC Security Center, from what I can see.  BUT, each time I ran MC VT, the MCSHIELD and WINLOGIN CPU performance problem stopped.  My old trusty 2.5Ghz Celeron runs at 97%-99% idle instead of seeing those 100% CPU utilization ticks like clockwork.  It then runs this way just fine until I do a manual MC update, then the MCSHIELD / WINLOGIN CPU utilization problem returns.  So, the culprit may be the updater.  Joe

Message was edited by: joedzek on 5/12/13 11:57:49 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community