Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
islandgirl
Former Member
Message 221 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Hello Spyron!

Fear not - I had no intention of disabling anything and I was about to post exactly that for all  the reasons you articulate so clearly

No one has picked up on my comment about McSvHost.exe crashing all the time - which is new - and no , nothing else in my environment has changed - except I have a new power supply 🙂

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 222 of 261

Ugh. Don't say power supply. I just had one go bad and I had to buy and build an entire new computer. *grumble*

When your mcsvhost crashes, is it at boot or shutdown? Or just randomly? Have you noticed it crashes more when you're doing certain things/running certain apps?

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 223 of 261

pwer supplies go bad a lot here - cat hair, salt, sahara dust, moisture. 😞

No, it just suddenly crashes and a polite little grey and white notice saying that it has encountered a problem and has to close. I haven't notice it in association with anything in particular but I will monotir more closely now...

Peacekeeper
Message 224 of 261

This is the other big issue for XP users only.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/231473

Mcafee may have a lead on the cause that is all i can say at this time. I was trying to repro it and the only common programs I found on 4 Pcs the owners of which posted their programs list was Adobe air and tweakui. I reproduced it 1 time but been unable to repro it again. From what I hear Mcafee feels it is not a program clash.

Wait and see what they tell me next time I speak to them.

Coxdavi no mcsheild update yesterday Somer summarised our thoughts well.

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 225 of 261

Ok, thanks to you both Somer & Tony.  Will keep monitoring.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 226 of 261

"My purpose in posting this is really just to try and have as much transparency in what's going on here as possible, try to explain the concepts we're working with here so you're able to take an active part in this process, and to let you know that we're trying to get something solid to move forward with... and to ask for understanding if it seems like we're asking a lot of questions of each of you. The mods are on the right track, trying to find commonalities to make that list of variables smaller and more realistic. Additionally, myself and the Tier 3 engineers are keeping an eye on this and working with the mods to try and get a breakthrough. Thanks Thecreator for trying to pitch in and help out, it's much appreciated! And thanks Coxdavi and Islandgirl for keeping this on the radar. The mods are keeping the issue alive in our engineering meetings too."

Hi SPyron,

What McAfee isn't doing in the labs, is to load the product on Single Core Processor Computers with the bare minimum amount of Physical Memory and design the product from the Ground up, but they are designing on High-End Computers with lots of CPU Power and Speed. And use that Single Core computer like Home Users do, in the lab.

Also, lots of businesses are also using Single Core Processing Computers and have not updated their computers.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 227 of 261

I don't know what the lowest memory spec we've tested on is, but I know we test on the minimum system requirements published on the packaging. So if someone is running less memory than the minimum spec, it shouldn't work, and there's no way around that one.

As far as processors, we do test on single cores. I've been told we test on processors down to the minimum system req of 500mhz. But the number of processors is more relevant to the applications you run, and how they handle threading, as I understand things - So 500mhz might install and run, but I don't think it would run very well.

There are still a lot of people on very old computers running single cores, but I can't help but think that the whole computer is quite old and under-resourced, and that it runs like a dog.

It's more likely that our testbed doesn't have all the same apps in the same combinations as people are seeing in the world. That's just the way that goes, unfortunately. There's no way to replicate every environment variable in any QA environment.

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 228 of 261

Friday morning 0110 AM and I have just rebooted as i was monitoring with Task Manager, and saw that  one of my IE8 tasks and explore.exe were going high on memory usage.  I come back up, start up Task Manager and nothing else, and mcshield goes nuts.  Up to 175000K and I also saw it get up to 97% cpu util. with the fan whining.  It is ok now, back to normal several minutes later.  It would have been good to be able to capture that activity real-time.  I'll have to check on the setup of Debug Diagnosis again.             

Peacekeeper
Message 229 of 261

Ok any1 with this issue if you have a P4 with hyper threading disable it and report if issue still happening. If so there is a way Mcafee can work around this.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 230 of 261

Peacekeeper wrote:

Ok any1 with this issue if you have a P4 with hyper threading disable it and report if issue still happening. If so there is a way Mcafee can work around this.

I have a P4 based system , but do not know if it has hyper threading. How does one find out? How is it disabled?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community