Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coxdavi
Contributor
Message 211 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Tony,

here is the information you requested:

VMWare Player. Currently, they offer 4.0 version. Don't know the version of what was uninstalled. Can't remember when i installed it as a trial.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DAVE-Q08ESS7TBC

System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario

System Model RR790AA-ABA SR2150NX

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3325 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.14, 4/11/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name DAVE-Q08ESS7TBC\

Time Zone Central Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 969.15 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.26 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

McAfee information:

Security Center - Version 11.0, build 11.0.654

VirusScan - 15.0, build 15.0.294, dat version 6646, engine version 5400.1158.

Personal Firewall - 12.0, build 12.0 345.

SiteAdvisor 3.4, build 3.4.0.141.

Anti-Spam 12.0, build 12.0.292, engine version 2.2.0.9286.

Parental Controls - 13.0, build 13.0.319.

Anti-Theft 2.0, build 2.0.403.

Online Backup - 3.0, build 3.0.128.

QuickClean & Shredder 11.0, build 11.0.416.

Peacekeeper
Message 212 of 261

Thanks I notice another poster had no vmware installed so I wonder if you removed any other program around the relevant time period? Do have or had Adobe Air?

That said was your issue only memory use or cpu as well by mcshield?

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 213 of 261

I have Adobe Air on my PC right now.  The issue was both with shield.  It would be top dog in memory use, the CPU would get to 100%, the fan would be screaming and I would have to reboot.  Go back to about the third week of June 2011, and that will begin this occurrence for me.  I documented all this from that time through mid-December 2011, as did others.

By the way, what came out of the Monday call?  

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 214 of 261

Yes coxdavi - you are right - it was around May/June last year....after a period prior to that of relative calm.  Increasing your Ram from 512 sounds like a very good idea! I didn't think you could even run Windows any more on that little

Creator - I don't understand your post.

Message was edited by: islandgirl on 3/13/12 8:11:02 AM GMT-06:00
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 215 of 261

islandgirl wrote:

Yes coxdavi - you are right - it was around May/June last year....after a period prior to that of relative calm.  Increasing your Ram from 512 sounds like a very good idea! I didn't think you could even run Windows any more on that little

Creator - I don't understand your post.

Message was edited by: islandgirl on 3/13/12 8:11:02 AM GMT-06:00

Hi islandgirl,

What is the operating system you are using, that is installed? Are you running the Anti-Virus 2011 Version? That version contains two Core Anti-virus products. Meaning Real-Time Scanning can't be Shut-off. McShield is constanting running in the background, which I attempted to show you via the PrtScrn Snapshot.

Open up McAfee Security Center. Look at the options for Anti-virus. Look at About McAfee for Anti-Virus as well.

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 216 of 261

I am using Windows XP.Pro 2002 SP 3

I am using Virus Scan Plus and Securty Center

VS Version 15 - 15.0.294

SC 11, 11 .0.654

I am well aware the Mcshiled was ruinng constantly in the background.

Are you a Mcafee technician?

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 217 of 261

PS On this version I have the option to turn off real time scanning.

I am disinclined to do so however - if it is designed to enhacne my protection, why shold i reduce the level of protection to produce a work around to an existing problem?

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 218 of 261

islandgirl wrote:

I am using Windows XP.Pro 2002 SP 3

I am using Virus Scan Plus and Securty Center

VS Version 15 - 15.0.294

SC 11, 11 .0.654

I am well aware the Mcshiled was ruinng constantly in the background.

Are you a Mcafee technician?

Hi islandgirl,

No McAfee Technician, but a person like you, but I have several copies of McAfee installed and I have a Router with a Firewall installed. I have many years of McAfee Experience.

If you have a Router, then you can safely run with Real-Time Scanning off.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 219 of 261

islandgirl wrote:

PS On this version I have the option to turn off real time scanning.

I am disinclined to do so however - if it is designed to enhacne my protection, why shold i reduce the level of protection to produce a work around to an existing problem?

Hi islandgirl,

Do you have a Router, between you and a Cable Modem?

Turning Off Real-Time Scanning does not turn off McShield.exe, which was what I tried showing you in that PrtScrn Snapshot.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 220 of 261

Hey, just wanted to add some to this.

Real-time scanner performs a specific function. It reads/scans each file and process as it tries to write to or read from the computer. What this means is that you essentially have 2 types of virus scan. One that runs all the time, constantly observing behaviors and comparing files to known threats, and a manual scanner that you tell to start (or run on a schedule).

If you disable the real-time scanner, you open a hole in your security. Yes, a router will provide you protection from, for example, worms (they tend to scan for open ports on a computer, and a router tends to - by it's nature, and also by settings you can change - do something called port forwarding). But a router won't protect you from a file you download by choice which happens to contain a trojan or other malware like a keylogger. When you download that file and try to run it, the real-time scanner is what scans it for threats. If you disable it, you put yourself at risk for trojans you self-selected; easily the most common type of home user infection.

So yes, you can disable real-time scanner, but it is highly not recommended by McAfee.

Regarding the high CPU usages we're seeing, this isn't the same issue you were seeing in May or June. This is the problem.... any number of variables on any computer has the potential to cause a problem like this. It's entirely possible (and totally likely) that the problem causing this result on Coxdavi's machine is totally different in every way from the one on Islandgirl's machine, they just result in the same CPU excess. So what does this mean, from a support perspective?

It means we've been unable to duplicate them in a lab environment. We've found other things which could cause this problem, and we fix them as we find them (which is probably why the problem went away, then came back again - we fixed one thing, but something new came up). It's very difficult to troubleshoot as well, as each computer potentially has a different issue. Add to that the fact that easily half of these types of issues end up having nothing to do with McAfee, but rather some other application or piece of hardware interacting questionably with McAfee (example - you had Norton 360, then uninstalled it  and installed McAfee, but Norton 360 left a bunch of embedded keys in your registry) Or maybe you have an older computer with the minimum amount of memory installed. That would certainly slow things down. You end up with a massive list of possible variables, each one requiring troubleshooting.

Or maybe there is genuinely something going on here, some common thing. But it's a process of elimination to find that thing, and one of the most time consuming types of troubleshooting to do - especially if the high CPU just bogs down the computer instead of totally crashing it. If it crashed it, we'd be able to possibly get a memory dump and find something that way.

My purpose in posting this is really just to try and have as much transparency in what's going on here as possible, try to explain the concepts we're working with here so you're able to take an active part in this process, and to let you know that we're trying to get something solid to move forward with... and to ask for understanding if it seems like we're asking a lot of questions of each of you. The mods are on the right track, trying to find commonalities to make that list of variables smaller and more realistic. Additionally, myself and the Tier 3 engineers are keeping an eye on this and working with the mods to try and get a breakthrough. Thanks Thecreator for trying to pitch in and help out, it's much appreciated! And thanks Coxdavi and Islandgirl for keeping this on the radar. The mods are keeping the issue alive in our engineering meetings too.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community