cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danf
Former Member
Message 191 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

The issue was very bad on my laptop, and then it suddenly started saying when I boot up that the copy of windows needs to be verified, but, even when I enter the code from my purchased copy of windows, it does not recognize it.

I'm not sure if the two issues are related. Has anyone else seen this?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 192 of 261

Danf: These issues are not related. I would recommend contacting Microsoft.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 193 of 261

danf wrote:

The issue was very bad on my laptop, and then it suddenly started saying when I boot up that the copy of windows needs to be verified, but, even when I enter the code from my purchased copy of windows, it does not recognize it.

I'm not sure if the two issues are related. Has anyone else seen this?

Hi danf,

I don't understand. On the Laptop Computer and your purchased copy of Windows? When you buy a Laptop Computer, it comes with a Product Key on the bottom of the Laptop, in case anything happens to the Laptop, where the Hard Drive becomes bad and you need to replace the Hard Drive and have to install Windows again from scratch.

If your Laptop contained a different operating system from your current operating system, you need to have to reformat and install the new version of Windows from scratch, because the operating system had drivers installed for that operating system, not the newer operating system. And by installing Windows overtop an existing installation, which you can, is only asking for troubles later.

And you have those problems, now.

danf
Former Member
Message 194 of 261

The laptop has a properly purchased copy of windows, and I've not changed the operating system at all since I purchased the system, other than the automatic Windows Updates that come in. Nevertheless, the product key does not work.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 195 of 261

Danf: I've done a little research on what could cause verification to fail, and there isn't much to be found. I would imagine MS keeps that pretty close to the vest though (that kind of info could be used to get around verification).

Here's a link to their diagnostic for this problem. Give it a try: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 196 of 261

danf wrote:

The laptop has a properly purchased copy of windows, and I've not changed the operating system at all since I purchased the system, other than the automatic Windows Updates that come in. Nevertheless, the product key does not work.

Hi danf,

The way you phased it, it seemed you did.

Anyway, once the operating system is installed, the key had to be used. And it can only be used on the Laptop Computer, every time you reformat and reinstall the operating system. but now that isn't the problem. The problem is the connection had been cut between the Activation Server of Microsoft and your computer laptop. You simply need to reactivate Windows. When activating by Internet fails, click to Activate by Phone and pick the Country that you are in, to get the proper Phone number to call. You don't need a new key, but you need to give them a code of 9 sets of numbers for Windows 7 and answer a question. Use a  Speakerphone, it makes it easier to listen and enter the numbers by keypad.

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 197 of 261

After taking McAfee Total Protection down in mid-December 2011, I went through about three month's worth of hardware and software fixes.  The original problem was where, no matter what I was doing, I would hang and freeze up.  ( The same symptoms were presented back in 2010, which were alleviated when a fix was put on Total Protection in October of that year ).  Sometimes it would recover and sometimes a reboot was required.  Here are some of the items that were changed:

1.) Ran a number of different scans which didn't find anything malicious.
2.) Ran through an XP repair, which helped, but didn't get rid of the hang.
3.) Added RAM so that I am now at just under 2 Gig. Made quite a noticable difference in response, but again didn't get rid of the hang.
4.) Replaced a DVD drive, which took CD ROM errors out of the mix, but didn't get rid of the hang.
5.) Removed VMWare from my PC ( around 500 files and registry entries ). The removal of VMWare seems to be what removed the hangs and freezes.

So now, my PC is back and running fine with Total Protection active on it again.   

Peacekeeper
Message 198 of 261

Can you elaborate as to what the issue was exactly and how it manifested itself? was it high cpu usage by mcshield or more than that?

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 199 of 261

Hi Tony,

Yes, it was high cpu by mcshield.exe, same as back in 2010.  The October 2010 fix gave me 7 months of regular PC usage, then the same issues cropped up beginning of June 2011.  I waited a couple of weeks before saying anything on this forum as I wanted to make sure that I was seeing the same thing, which I was.  If you go back, the same thing was happening again to other users such as Islandgirl. 

The problem that I ran into trying to pin down the root cause was that the collection of data for analysis by Tier 2 was haphazard.  For one thing, they were not specific in saying what data they wanted to collect, except that it was several logs, and kept wanting to get on my PC remotely for two hours which I don't usually allow.  The problem got bad enough where Tier 2 got on a couple of times, retrieved logs and sent them back for analysis, but could never get their event -trapping tool to work correctly, so the second part of what they said they wanted to do was never done. 

All this time, i had been communicating with Somer, so she was well-aware of what was going on, and was copied on most of my email communication with Tier 2. 

In mid-December 2011, I had had enough, and got McAfee off my PC while I went off in another direction to try to find the solutions necessary to fix my swapping-out problems.

The actions listed above have taken me nearly three months to get through, first being a thorough checkup for any malware which found no offenders, then a re-do on the malware, then on to the hardware and software resets as described.  I thought the XP repair a pretty drastic idea, but it turned out that it gave me a better response, so obviously, there was unknown damage there.  The RAM expansion and the DVD drive replacement were both good corrections that took them out of possible items that were causing the hangs/freezes.  The final item was the VMWare software which I had put on my PC for a work project.  Seems to be the last thing that was on OLT as an offender, and as soon as that was removed, my PC was back in business, and I am now back running under McAfee Total Protection retail. 

Time will tell if these actions were enough to do the trick, but you also have to remember that I didn't have McAfee active on my PC while I was undergoing this cleanup process.   So, it will now be a period of monitoring my PC to make sure that response stays as good as it is right now. 

Can you tell me if there was anything found within Total Protection in the last three months that could have been causing issues with either the shield or agent tasks?   

Peacekeeper
Message 200 of 261

Nothing I am so desperate that I asked them here https://community.mcafee.com/message/231205#231205  if they have vmware.

Mcafee cannot repro this not can I an the family's 9 installs over several OSs

We are at a loss at this time though I am still actively pushing this issue to Macfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community